4

The school week began again, bringing with it a flurry of activities for Maisy

The school week began again, bringing with it a flurry of activities for Maisy. After school, she found herself staying late to catch up on tests and assignments that she had missed. Earlier that morning, Maisy had made a specific request to her dad, asking him to come and pick her up at around five o'clock.

Earlier that morning, with an overly ripe banana in hand, Maisy approached her dad, hoping he would remember their conversation. "Dad, I have to stay after school, and the bus won't run that late. Can you please pick me up at around five?" she asked, her voice filled with anticipation.

Her dad, lost in his own thoughts while reclining on the living room chair, mumbled distractedly, "Uh, yeah, Maiz. I'll see you then."

Little did Maisy realize, she had underestimated her dad's ability to forget. Almost twelve hours later, it was nearly six o'clock, and Maisy was still waiting for her father to arrive and take her home. She felt a pang of disappointment and defeat, as this was not the first time her dad had let her down.

Determined not to be stranded, Maisy decided to venture back into the open school building in search of someone who could grant her access to the office, where she could make a phone call. "Hello?" she called out into the empty hallway, her voice echoing faintly. As she made her way around the corner, she noticed the office door was ajar, and the glow from a video monitor spilled out, casting dancing shadows on the walls. Maisy cautiously approached the room, her heart pounding with uncertainty. "Hi, um...," she started, but her words trailed off when she saw Tim Riggins, an athletic and popular student, sitting alone and crying. Instantly feeling intrusive, Maisy was about to retreat when Tim's voice interrupted her.

"Hey," he growled, hastily wiping away his tears. "If you breathe a word about this, I swear..." His voice wavered, revealing a vulnerability beneath the tough facade.

Startled, Maisy assured him, "I won't. I promise." She took a step back, preparing to leave when her empathy compelled her to offer some words of solace. "You shouldn't blame yourself. You were across the field. There was nothing you could have done." With those words of comfort, Maisy continued on her way down the hall, heading back out to the front of the school. Waiting by the entrance, her dad sat in his pickup truck, his expression a mix of anger and impatience.

"Maisy Lynn Coleman, where have you been?" he demanded, his voice filled with outrage. Tempted to retort and ask the same question of him, Maisy chose to hold her tongue.

"I had to use the bathroom, sorry," she muttered quietly as she climbed into the truck. With a scowl, he drove off, still irritated at her for inconveniencing him. Maisy gazed out of the window, staring at the fading sunset in the distance. As they drove from west to east, the glory of the sinking sun became a backdrop to her turbulent emotions.