11

Maisy's mind was consumed by the memories of that unforgettable day spent with Jason and Tim

Maisy's mind was consumed by the memories of that unforgettable day spent with Jason and Tim. It was a soothing and picturesque experience, creating a temporary respite from the harsh realities of life.

She yearned for more days like that in her small town of Dillon, but instead, she found herself thrust back into the less enchanting present. Today was homecoming, an event of great significance in Dillon. The reunion of esteemed football alumni was a highlight, and all eyes were on Maisy's father, who was being honored for his victorious state championship win two decades prior.

As her father drove them to the bustling downtown area of Dillon, Maisy couldn't help but feel a nagging sense of apprehension. She pleaded silently, "Please, just try not to embarrass yourself." The concern in her voice was evident, though she muttered the words under her breath.

"An ass? Spare me the lecture, Maisy Lynn," her father warned, his tone hinting at defiance. She rolled her eyes, a silent response to his retort. He parked his truck with an air of nonchalance and proceeded to finish his third beer in just the past hour.

Maisy, feeling somewhat like a chaperone, slammed her car door shut and walked a few steps behind her father. Her watchful gaze sought out any signs of trouble, wary of how alcohol could easily ignite his combative spirit.

As they approached the main stage area, Maisy acknowledged a familiar voice calling out to her. "Maisy, girl!" Smash's voice carried through the air, capturing her attention. She mustered a weak smile and responded, "Hey, guys." Glancing around, she silently confirmed that her father hadn't already started any altercations. It was no secret that a few too many drinks could easily lead to a confrontation.

"Girl, you look tense. You need to relax," Smash observed, extending a solo cup towards her. He sensed her guarded demeanor, her heightened state of anxiety.

"I can't drink, not right now," Maisy replied firmly, pushing the cup away. She knew that indulging in alcohol was not the solution to easing her troubled mind.

"Just one drink won't hurt. The whole team is at it. Come on, it's not like we're playing today," Smash persisted, nudging the cup closer to her.

Firmly refusing, Maisy retorted, "You don't understand. I said no." She could feel the weight of the surrounding eyes on her, their curiosity piqued by her refusal. Glancing over her shoulder, she spotted her father engaged in conversation with Buddy Garrity. She knew that conflict was brewing in his inebriated state, the result of an insensitive comment Buddy had made recently.

"Excuse me," Maisy whispered, hastily moving towards her father in an attempt to intervene before matters escalated.

"Dad, come on. You're about to go on stage," Maisy muttered, gently tugging at his arm. "It was good to see you, Mr. Garrity," she called out, projecting a polite facade. She pushed her father forward, guiding him closer to the stage, hoping to divert his attention from any imminent confrontations.