Chapter 11 - Alliance, part 5

Draft #50 - Pirates

Pirates, as the name suggests, are criminals of the highest caliber. There aren't too many in the world of space travel - it can be remarkably easy to die just by attempting to board a ship - but those who are pirates are very good at it.

Vokkrus ships are rarely attacked. I like to think that it's because our technology and defense are so impenetrable that they cannot find their way in, but I think it is due to intimidation.

The first time pirates attacked a Vokkrus ship, the offending hunk of metal that had so callously assaulted us was sent back to its home planet with a clear, smoking warning: do not try again. Really, the pirates had been so foolish to even attempt to attack a warship, of all things.

***

The pirates moved swiftly through the room, shoving tables, flipping chairs, and generally making a mess. Rulshkka quietly mourned the loss of the refreshment table, which was being ransacked by one of the many Glorcxans. 

They were a bipedal species with flat faces and large ears. They were practically blind as their main sense was hearing. They were furry all over, tufts of purple fur sticking out from under their armor. They were quick, quiet, and well-versed in working in groups.

Glorcxans were notorious for their tendency to lean toward piracy for an occupation. It was due to one, simple fact.

They were really good at it.

This heist must have been years in the making. The Core had the best security one could ask for. There were dozens of guards from all sorts of species, making sure there were no gaps in their knowledge and expertise. To get into the Core alone, one needed to have the right identification on their ship, and that wasn't even mentioning the heat scanners, biomarkers, coded phrases, and a world of other stuff that Rulshkka let the pilot of the ship handle.

"On the floor!" the ringleader shouted, waving his blaster around. Several species hastily complied, but there were still a few upright, including the Vokkrus. They were not the kind to mindlessly comply with some pirate's demands.

"What are those guns?" Kohgrash asked quickly, skirting around Rulshkka's tail to get a better view. His hands were trembling, and he knew that the human was itching for a fight. His eyes were blown wide, flickering over every possible enemy in the vicinity.

"Plasma blasters: they are rather dangerous. It takes a very long time for someone to acquire it legally," Rulshkka said, edging against the table they were standing by. Shul and Thrin were in front of them, physically blocking their view. He couldn't see Vrol'ma.

"Security is on their way, pirates," Heth snapped. One of the Glocxans had their blaster pointed straight at his chest. "If you do not leave now, you'll be tossed straight into the Kindred."

"Does he really think that's gonna work?" Kohgrash grumbled under his breath.

Several more Glocxans entered the room, some splattered with various species' blood. Rulshkka knew that there was no way they were fighting their way out of this one.

"Yield," he told his guards. They looked displeased but likely made the same conclusions as he did. As did several of the other warrior species, such as the V'srks, also yielded. If the stronger species started defending themselves, no doubt the Glorcxans would go after the weaker species. While Rulshkka held no love for some of them, he did not like needless violence.

The Glorcxans were pleased with their surrender, and a few went around with cuffs, subduing some of the more violent species. Vokkrus included.

"Hands out," one Glorcxan ordered Shul. The guard snarled at her but complied, shoving his hands out and nearly knocking her off balance. Shul got a smack to the head with the blaster for that, which made Rulshkka's heart leap in nervous fear. He did not want any of his people to get hurt.