Chapter 39 - Ambuscade

Draft #268 - Exasperation

The Spirits are supposed to care about my species, but all they do is give me a headache.

***

There were a thousand questions asked and not one of the Founders had the answers.

"-And my people!" cried the Montet leader.

"-been keeping us like livestock!" the Clorklaxt leader shouted.

"Never liked them," announced Omphu. "Never once liked them!"

"-what do to with them?" asked Avo. "How does one punish fear itself?"

"Punish!" laughed Roxn, the leader of the Roxen. "I say we kill 'em. Just like they've slaughtered us!"

Rulshkka quite liked the sound of that, and he was content to sit back and watch the chaos unfold. Only, of course, Kohgrash stood up, his son in his arms, and shouted, "HEY!"

The sudden shout made everyone who wasn't paying close attention to the human (read: everyone but Rulshkka) jump in surprise. Kohgrash cleared his throat, suddenly looking shy. "Um. Bickering won't do us any good. We're all angry, I know, but the more we fuck around, the longer the Outkast has to figure out what we're talking about and leave this fucking place."

"Fucking place," Vi'mrakka repeated proudly. Chitters and giggles, most half hysteric, filled the hall while Rulshkka gritted his teeth. Kohgrash grinned at him unapologetically.

"Lord Kohgrash is correct," Heth said loudly, interrupting the clamor. "There is proof here; Vokkra Rulshkka has provided what we have asked for."

He sounded reluctant and embarrassed, both of which made Rulshkka positively gleeful.

"Now we must determine what is to happen to them. They are, unfortunately, not of the Alliance, so they are exempt from our rules." Heth likely knew that this would cause outrage, as he said it all in one breath. "But-! Please, listen, all of you!"

Angry stomping, shouts, and screams for justice filled the hall, and Rulshkka just stood there, basking in it. Kohgrash whistled sharply (the little hellion had practiced that for weeks some years ago, snickering every time it made Rulshkka glare at him) and caught everyone's attention.

"I- well, we have a plan for the Outkasts, but, uhh, it might need some background information," he said nervously. He carefully picked his way down to the Orb, wincing every other step. Rulshkka felt terribly guilty even though Kohgrash had sworn up and down this morning that it was fine.

"That's alright, Kohgrash. We can listen to your explanation. Patiently," Avo said loudly. It took some time, but most species adored the human race (it helped, too, Rulshkka thought, that he had saved them from space pirates his first visit. Thinking about it now, was anything ever easy with this creature?) and settled in to listen.

Rulshkka steadied the human when he came near, eyeing the Orb suspiciously. Vi'mrakka was already reaching out, and any attempts to grab the hatchling from Kohgrash were met with loud whining.

"Tap it with your hand," Nelcu, the leader of the V'srks, offered.

Kohgrash reached out to tap it, and when his hand connected with the Orb, both his and his son's eyes glowed white.

"Oh, Spirits," Rulshkka breathed, grabbing Kohgrash's shoulders and trying to pull him away. Not here! Not here!

"Oh, about time," Kohgrash murmured in unaccented Vokkran. He ran his hand over his chest. "Hmmm, what'd they do to you?"