Chapter 34 - Fatherhood

A/N: I don't usually do content warnings, but this chapter has heavy emphasis on hospitals, illness, and death. Please take care of yourselves! 

***

Draft #235

While I did not know my sire that well, I knew he was an intelligent Vokkrus. He certainly had his moments - taking my mother as a mate was not his smartest move, after all - but he had the wherewithal to assimilate a will, separate from my mother's, at least.

Well, until the wretched bitch found out about it after his death. She buried his will under claims of a mated pair, something which was never contested back then. I never knew about it until she died.

How elated I feel every time I write those words.

***

"Come on, Rul," Rukka sighed, tapping her claws persistently against the door frame. "The day is not getting any younger."

Rulshkka, who was definitely not stalling, puttered around his office. For the first time in a long time, he was straightening his belongings. Kohgrash would be appalled. "In a moment," he said weakly, stacking a sheaf of papers on another on the left side of his desk before moving it to the right. "I am... I am occupied."

Rukka huffed. She stormed into his office and grabbed his arm. "Come on, Rulshkka. The sooner we get this over with, the sooner we can forget all about it."

"But why now?" he complained, his heart thundering in his chest. "Why now, years later?"

Rukka sighed and loosened her grip. Rulshkka followed her morosely out of his hidey-hole. "You and I both know why."

Yes. He did. He had never wanted to know before.

His mother's will had been buried in the back of his mind - something that he knew he should look at, but nothing he had ever wanted to look at. And now, Rukka had dug it up from some bank that had complained about her assets clogging up their storage. It wasn't like he nor Rukka had any use for it. They had simply let things lie. Indefinitely. Preferably forever.

There had always been an unspoken truce never to bring it up. There were always better things to talk about, of course. Anything was better than talking about their mother. Spirits, the weather was a better topic.

Rukka dragged her feet as much as he did, but unlike Rulshkka, she actually had the courage to set up a meeting with their mother's ancient lawyer, and after years of pestering, the old Vokkrus finally had his way. Rulshkka and Rukka were soon on their way to read their mother's will.

It was both the longest and shortest ride he's experienced. He was stiff-backed and nervous. Even the reassuring words his mate and Kohgrash had departed him with did little to soothe the worry in his chest.

Did his mother still... it was a struggle to even think the word hate, but dislike was too tame to describe her feelings toward him. He knew, objectively, that the only reason she had shown him kindness - if one could call it that - later in his life was because of his triumph as Vokkra. Had he been kept on as Trosk's assistant, would she have changed her tune as soon as he made something of himself? Would Rukka be Vokkra instead?

When had she made this will? Was it before he had become Vokkra or after? Was he in the will, or was he nothing more than a mere mention, a smear on her legacy as the forgotten, weak hatchling?

"I can hear you thinking from here," Rukka muttered in his ear. The law firm's waiting room was stuffy and surprisingly packed. There were several Vokkrus - who either stared at him with intensity or pretended he wasn't here - and even a few humans milling about.