Interlude: Venomous Viktor, part 1

A/N: I had to split this part up because it was getting too long, haha. Expect part 2 soon! 

Also, it's called an interlude, which may lead to people wanting to skip it, but it's definitely integral to the plot! Or at least, part 2 will be. 

***

Draft #2

I haven't been on many vacations, especially not recently. Hell, Earth vacations with my dad were rare enough as it was. Alien vacations? That's a whole 'nother can of worms. Still, I am pretty excited for it, because frankly I am exhausted. Who knew that running a planet with an alien was so much work?

***

Court proceedings were, without a doubt, the most boring event that Viktor has ever been to. And he's waded through several eight am college courses.

They didn't happen all that often, and frankly, it had been worse when he had been Vokkra, but since he was a Lord, he still had to attend. Usually, he could beg off - something that got marginally easier with the introduction of little Vikka - but today, Vok'Rul had demanded his presence.

And since the guy let him live rent-free, fed him an obscene amount of food, and gave him the best little hatchling ever, he had to oblige.

Didn't mean he couldn't complain about it, though.

"This chair is so uncomfortable," he whined, trying and failing to get comfortable in the straight-backed, unyielding throne. It wasn't as grand as Vok'Rul's, thank God, but it was still unbearable.

"Hush," Vok'Rul told him out of the corner of his mouth, looking excited. He always liked hearing people's thoughts. "It hasn't even begun, yet."

Usually, the banquets were held in place of any official court, but for some reason, Vok'Rul decided he wanted to do things more traditionally this time. Viktor did not approve. First of all, there weren't any refreshments in reach. He could ask a servant to fetch him something, but it always made him feel a little funny. Second of all, now that he was forced to sit at Vok'Rul's side for no other reason than his title, he couldn't get away from the more annoying Vokkrus.

"Lord Kohgrash!" a voice called out to him as the proceedings started to pick up. Usually, Viktor wasn't at the center of attention, but ever since his stint at Vokkra, more and more people were acting friendly toward him. Likely just a ploy to get into Vok'Rul's good graces. Unfortunately, if they were genuine in their affections, it usually worked.

Viktor wanted to cringe but diplomatically left it off of his face. "Hello, Kyroh," he said petulantly.

"Oh, I am lucky to see you here today, Lord. I wanted to continue our conversation about the efficiency of certain engines that we had during the last banquet, do you remember? Oh, I've been trying to get a hold of you through the wire, but you must not have gotten them!"

Viktor, who had ended up classifying Kyroh's emails as spam to save his sanity, nodded along. "Yes, indeed, I haven't opened any." Not quite a lie.

Vok'Rul looked way too smug off to the side, and Viktor only barely managed to behave while Kyroh chatted his ear off. As soon as the Vokkrus decided that he had said his piece - several hours into the event, and only because they were beginning to start the real event soon - Viktor fled from his chair to get something to eat.

"Enjoying yourself, little beast?" Thruul asked, dishing out a plate for him as soon as he saw him approach. Vi'mrakka was strapped to his chest, and no matter how long Vok'Rul begged him, the cook would not give up his position as a server for the event to sit on Vok'Rul's other side. Lucky bastard.