Chapter 33 - Cowardice

Draft #225

Facing your fears is not something I indulge in. I would much rather ignore them. Unfortunately for myself, I have surrounded myself with people of the opposite mind.

Woe betide me.

***

The memo stared at him and he stared back with as much contempt in his gaze as he could muster.

"Jeez, what'd the poor computer do to you?" Kohgrash asked him tentatively from the newly installed chaise lounge across the office. He had told Rulshkka in no uncertain terms that a miniature desk would look 'fucking stupid' next to his and wanted somewhere to lounge on instead. How Kohgrash got anything done when he looked half asleep the entire time was beyond him. But neither Rukka nor annoying human ambassadors assaulted them, so he must be getting something done.

The lounge had been a gift he had gotten him a while ago - but human furniture was a rather hot commodity on his planet and it often went out of stock before he got his claws on it. He ended up needing to pull his Vokkra card in order to get his first pick. He had awkwardly shown Kohgrash the lounge when they had gotten back, having planned it to be set up during their vacation.

Awkwardly because they hadn't really had a chance to talk about their more-than-rocky relationship since their vacation.

Well, he supposed he should say they hadn't wanted to. They had ample opportunity to go somewhere private to discuss what had happened, the words that had been exchanged, but... well. Rulshkka was a coward, and he didn't want to feel hurt again.

It's a wonder we didn't die in the Buffet!

Rulshkka cleared his throat, shaking away the thoughts of the Buffet. They didn't stay gone for long, since his eyes traveled back to the memo:

Attn: NEWLY CONSTRUCTED OUTKAST BUILDING

> The Out Kast has constructed their Haunted Build ing For Fun

> on: meteorK-43io95, near Moon 459 (map in cluded)

> Come n visit! Waiver attach .

The butchered spelling made him wince. The Outkasts' alphabet must not be fully utilized in the Alliance's system just yet.

Butchered spelling aside, the message was clear. Their house of horrors was completed, and they invited them to behold it. No doubt the other leaders had gotten an invitation, too. Any new venture, especially one ordained by the Alliance itself, was subject to inspections by different species if they were willing to go.

But Rulshkka was definitely not willing.

His lack of answer encouraged Kohgrash to get up and peer at the computer himself. His face twisted into something terribly bitter. He looked at Rulshkka out of the corner of his eye, wincing as he said, "I think we should go."

Even though he knew he was going to say that, Rulshkka was still rather surprised. He didn't want to go. They had only barely gotten back from their vacation, and now Kohgrash wanted to go somewhere even more dangerous? His arm wasn't even healed!

"Hear me out," Kohgrash pleaded, his tone a bit too desperate to be anything but regretful - he was likely thinking of the same things as Rulshkka. "They have this entire meteor built up - who knows what they could be hiding in there? We should go and check it out to make sure nothing crazy is going on. There's going to be others there, right?"