Chapter 16 - The Competition

Draft #75 -  Victory

The taste of defeat is not something that I sample often. I am stronger than other Vokkrus. I am quicker than other Vokkrus. I am the culmination of the Vokkrus' strength. I am the Vokkra. 

I will not lose this endeavor. I have saved up enough anger for this event, and the world will know my wrath. 

***

"Are you ready?" Kohgrash asked him. He was back to his normal self, of which Rulshkka was glad. 

"Yes," he responded assuredly. It was his fifth Competition, and it'd be his fifth win, too. "Let's hope there'll be no appearance of any rabid animal or Cord fanatics." 

"Don't even say that," Kohgrash said grumpily. "Now it's jinxed." 

Rulshkka rumbled his amusement. The usual fluttering of nerves sat behind his chest, but he couldn't bring himself to stress over the event. It wasn't something he was too terribly concerned about. He wondered if this year's Competition would be as easy as the last two or just as challenging as his first one. 

He hoped more Vokkrus would participate today, simply for the fact that he would like to show off. 

Thruul rarely came to these events, opting to remain at the mansion to prepare the feast for whoever was to be Vokkra (him, always), but this time, he was attending as his beloved. Rulshkka was excited. He wanted to show him that he was capable, that he was strong. That Rulshkka was a good choice for a mate. 

Plus, Kohgrash would be here to witness it as well. Despite the similarities he was sure the human would find, Rulshkka suspected that he would enjoy the event. Especially considering there was no way Rulshkka could lose. 

"I'm so nervous, and I'm not even fighting," Kohgrash said, wiping his hands down his pants. He was decorated in the usual jewelry befitting a Lord, though it looked a touch comical on the small human. Rulshkka would need to go to Trosk - perhaps she knew where to find a jeweler. 

"Don't be," Rulshkka knew his tone was smug, but he couldn't help it. There was a reason he was smug. He'd win easily. He just needed to make it entertaining. 

As a general rule, those who entered the Competition knew they were placing themselves at risk of death. There were hardly any limitations to how one could incapacitate their opponents in the Pit, and while Rulshkka was not usually one to end someone's life, many others were. Taking out opponents to give yourself a better chance to go after the Vokkra was what Vokkrus generally did. 

"Don't be," Kohgrash mocked, twisting the bracelet around his wrist rapidly. Rulshkka wondered how his skin wasn't raw with the amount of fiddling he did. "It's not like you could easily die or anything." 

"Easily?" he huffed, offended. "Have you that little faith in me, Kohgrash?" 

The human went back to his grumbling, switching between looking out the window in worry and looking at him in worry. Rulshkka tried to console his friend the best he could, but it was only a matter of time before the human realized that there was nothing short of Ghhorrah venom that could take him out. 

And he had made sure that there would be no Ghhorrahs here. Security would be the tightest it's been since the start of the Competition, eons ago. 

Kohgrash wasn't the only nervous one in the car. Thruul was unnaturally quiet, even though he has witnessed - more or less - four Competitions in which Rulshkka had succeeded in retaining his title. When Rulshkka offered his claws, Thruul gripped them tightly, and it was all he could do to give his beloved's hand a reassuring squeeze.