Chapter 40 - The Hunt

Draft #270

There is nothing more terrifying - nothing more exhilarating - than the thrill of the chase. Seeing the fruit of your labor finally come to life. 

But, for the most part, I am just scared. 

***

The Spirits hummed from the mouth of Kohgrash, used his arms and legs to move where they wished. He held Vi'mrakka in his arms protectively, so differently than how Kohgrash usually held him. The Spirits cradled him like a newly-hatched Vokkrus, even though he had outgrown Kohgrash's ability to hold him so. 

The tune rang familiar to Rulshkka, somewhere deep inside his memories. But he did not think he's heard it before. Not from any living, breathing Vokkrus. 

The Spirits caught Rulshkka staring, eyes crinkling in a manner so Kohgrash that he could almost forget his friend was... not at the front of his own mind right now. 

Spirits, that was strange. 

"The tune, my Vokkra? Do you know it?" they asked. 

"It is," Rulshkka paused, "oddly familiar."

"It is the beating heart of our planet, the core in which It sleeps. It often believes It made it too lively; some days it never quiets down," the Spirits mused, walking over to Thruul, who sat on the bed in their room, looking a little bewildered. 

Rulshkka knew he hadn't quite believed him when he'd told the story of Kohgrash's... possession. 

The Spirits got close to his mate, pushing Kohgrash's face right against his. They rumbled, the noise sounding oddly choked in Kohgrash's throat. "You, the Vokkra's mate, you are a good one. And your food is very good, from what It hears." 

"Thank you," Thruul said humbly, blinking at Spirits-Kohgrash owlishly. The Spirits jerked forward, bumping their forehead against Thruul's. 

A knock at the door interrupted them, and Rulshkka gratefully pulled it open. The Spirits were a fantastic being, and Rulshkka loved them, but Spirits, it was strange to interact with them so personally. 

Surprisingly, Birum stood in the doorway, leaves fluttering nervously. "Greetings, Vokkra," he said with a small dip of his head. Rulshkka gave one in return. "Everyone is gathering in the atrium, by Little Kindred." 

"It is a cute name," he heard the Spirits say out loud, as if talking to someone, but Rulshkka hadn't heard Thruul speak.

Rulshkka told the Founder they'd be there soon, shut the door, and started to freak out. 

"I cannot possibly do this," he gasped, claws digging into his skull. His mind raced with all the countless possibilities, all the countless disasters, that were about to - and probably would - happen. His entire family could be wiped out in a mere instant, and he would not be able to do a damn thing. "I cannot do this." 

Thruul was already halfway to standing up, arms raising to embrace him, but Kohgrash - the Spirits - beat him. Vi'mrakka was deposited in his mate's arms, and Kohgrash's thin, wiry arms circled around his waist and squeezed with much more strength than the human has ever shown him. His eyes, white as their star, looked up at him, blinking once, twice. 

"You are Its Vokkra," the Spirits told him. They opened Kohgrash's mouth to say more, but - 

"Yyyo-ouu are my friend," Kohgrash said. His eyes dimmed before they returned to blinding pure white. The Spirits hummed, interested. 

"You are Its Vokkra," they repeated, pressing their cheek against his stomach. Rulshkka slid down the door, both to get on even ground with the Spirits and because his legs weren't supporting him correctly. "You are the strongest out of all Its Children. You rule over them all, you care for them all. Of course you can do this. Silly little creature."