chapter twenty-four

Iris' father had asked her to choose the restaurant, so she did. Even if he hadn't asked, she was still going to do so either way. After all, she had agreed to have dinner with him. As far as she was concerned, everything was to be done on her terms.

Iris had chosen a restaurant close to campus. It was small, and one that she was familiar with. She figured that the least she could do was have some sense of comfort in a situation that was going to be highly uncomfortable.

Iris walked into the restaurant, immediately overpowered by the scent of frying fish and chips. Normally, she would have crinkled up her face in repulsion at the overwhelming scent, but not right then. She clung to the scent instead, inhaling it as deeply as she could. This was something she was familiar with, it kept her grounded.

Iris took in the familiar red and white tiled walls of the restaurant, as she quickly scanned, looking for her father. She wasn't sure if she even remembered what he looked like. After all, it had been so long since the last time that she had seen him.

Yet, Iris couldn't see anyone that popped out to her. The restaurant wasn't full, but everyone there was white. Sure, Iris knew little about her father, but she knew for sure that he wasn't white.

Of course, her father had stood her up. It did not surprise iris in the slightest. It was just the sort of thing that a person like him would do.

Iris was just about to turn on her heel and leave when she caught sight of a hand waving at her. It was a black hand. It was her father. He was seated in a booth at the very back of the restaurant and had noticed Iris just as she was about to leave.

Iris' heart fell in her chest. There was a part of her - a large part of her that actually wished that he wouldn't show up. It was easier for her if he didn't come. It was what she expected. It was the norm, but at least that way she had proof to her mom that he still wasn't shit. But now, she actually had to go through with this.

Taking a deep breath, Iris began making her way to the booth where her father was seated. It was weird for her to think of him as her father, even. God knows, he for sure did not act like one. Not in the slightest.

It was then that the nervousness sank in. It showed in the way Iris' legs shook slightly as she walked. She clenched her hands in a fist at her side in order to stabilize herself, but stable was the last thing that she felt right then. Instead, she felt vulnerable and exposed.

Iris finally arrived where her father was seated and slipped into the booth right opposite him. She took in a deep breath before she looked up at him.

He looked just like Iris remembered him, but at the same time, not at all. His previous high afro had been shaven off, and he now had a low fade. He had also shaved off most of his facial hair, leaving behind a silly-looking mustache above his upper lip. Iris thought that he looked absolutely ridiculous.

But besides that, everything else was the same. He still had his gleaming dark skin, which Iris knew she had inherited from him, as well as his consistent muscular build. He was older now, but Iris had seen pictures of him lying around the house from when he was younger.

As much as she hated to admit it, she could understand why her mom had fallen for him. He was every heterosexual teenage woman's dream back then.

"Iris," her father said, being the first to break the silence, "I am so glad that you could make it."

Iris doesn't respond. Honestly, she doesn't know what to say to this. She was only able to 'make it' because she was basically forced to be here. Iris didn't say this, but glared at her father, hoping that somehow he could read her thoughts.