chapter twenty-seven

Somehow, Adi carried Iris all the way to the top of the hill.

Upon arriving at the top, Adi carefully dropped Iris, so she was standing upright before collapsing onto the grass, panting heavily.

"I'm not that heavy," Iris said, watching Adi. "You don't have to be all dramatic about it."

"Iris, I literally just carried you up a hill," Adi replied in between pants. "That's not an easy thing to do, regardless of how much you weigh."

"You're the one that did that. I was perfectly content with just staying down there," Iris replied, slowly sitting down on the grass next to Adi.

"Well, I wasn't content with leaving you down there and you possibly getting kidnapped," Adi replied, closing her eyes and placing her hands on her forehead.

"Aw, you care about me. How sweet," Iris teased.

"Maybe. Or maybe I just know that I would be the first suspect, seeing as I was the one that brought you here. I'm just protecting myself, really."

Iris rolled her eyes, even though Adi couldn't see her do it.

"Why did you even bring me here?"

Adi opened her eyes again, turning to look at Iris directly.

"The view."

"The view?" Iris cocked her head to the side.

Adi shrugged. "I wanted you to see the view."

Iris had to admit, it was a pretty fucking good view. The hill was high enough that far-away glimpses of the city could be seen. Iris took it all in, as a feeling of adrenaline rushed through her.

Oddly, she felt like she was at the top of the world. Everything seemed so tiny from there, so far away and unimportant. Iris felt powerful, felt larger than life itself.

"It is a really amazing view," Iris breathed out, taking it all in.

Adi took hold of Iris' arm, pulling her down so that they were lying next to each other.

The grass was soft beneath Iris. She usually hated lying on the grass, as it was scratchy and she feared insects crawling into her neck and other private parts, but that wasn't a problem for Iris. Not right then. Not with Adi lying beside her, her arm gently brushing hers.

The view from here was even more illuminating. Iris was now looking up at the sky. It was a pastel blue color, so calming, and the clouds seemed to accentuate the sky, methodologically placed.

"It looks so fake, doesn't it?" Adi said from beside her, voicing Iris' thoughts.

"Yeah," Iris agreed, "it looks too perfect to be real. I think the sky alone is proof that we live in a simulation."

"Mmmm," Adi hummed, "now I wouldn't go that far."

"It's true, birds aren't real either. It's just the government watching us."

Iris felt Adi turn to look at her, but she continued staring up at the sky, trying to keep her face as neutral as possible.

"I can't tell if you're serious or not."

A small smile crept onto Iris' face. She enjoyed screwing with Adi's head. Adi noticed this and hit her playfully.

"Stop fucking with me. You're gonna send me into a spiral."

The girls lay in silence once again, looking up at the sky. Iris found it mesmerizing. It was as if she were in a trance as she took it in. The clouds were moving slowly across the sky, and nothing else seemed to matter right then than that.