chapter twenty-nine

Being back in reality after spending time with Adi was hell. Or at least that was how Iris perceived it. Being with Adi up on the hill allowed Iris to momentarily forget all her problems. It enabled her to forget how her life was quite literally crashing down around her.

Yet she couldn't spend time with Adi forever. There was also the deliberating factor of her feelings towards Adi.

Iris had since stopped denying the fact that she felt something for the red-haired girl. She wondered how this had occurred as not too long ago Adi was nothing to her but the girl at the gym that had almost made her lose her job. Yet, somehow or another, it seemed Adi had made her way into Iris's life unexpectedly.

Iris was sitting in her sociology class, barely even registering what the Professor was teaching as thoughts of Adi filled her mind. Iris didn't like how much Adi seemed to occupy her mind, but figured that it was better than thinking about other aspects of her life.

Iris hadn't seen Korra all weekend. Things between them had gotten so awkward and tense, to the point that Korra was spending as much time as possible at her boyfriend's apartment in order to avoid her. Iris didn't like this at all, but felt that it was her own fault for the outburst she had a couple of weeks ago. She knew she should have apologized for that, but the fact that Korra didn't pick up her call when she desperately needed her prevented Iris from reaching out.

Of course, Iris knew it wasn't Korra's fault, and she didn't purposely miss her call. However, Iris could be very strong-headed, and unfortunately, she wasn't the most rational person when she got into one of her stubborn moods.

Iris suddenly received a notification on her phone, snapping her out of her thoughts and back into her sociology classroom. The Professor was still talking, so Iris glanced down at her phone.

CRAZYGIRLFROMGYM:
There's this one biology tutor I have that isn't doing her job very well. What should I do about it?

Despite herself, Iris couldn't help but smile at the text message.

IRIS:
hmmm... i doubt it's her fault. You're probably just a difficult student to work with.

Adi's reply came almost instantly.

CRAZYGIRLFROMGYM:
STOP IT. I am not that hard to work with. Maybe a little, but I'm not as hopeless as you're making it seem.

IRIS:
allegedly...

Adi sent the angry emoji in response, which caused the smile on Iris' face to grow even wider till she was full-on grinning.

The sound of the Professor teaching in the background was nothing but background noise, as Iris' primary focus was on the slightly flirtatious text messages between herself and Adi.

CRAZYGIRLFROMGYM:
I do really need the biology tutoring tho. My biology isn't the best. My tutor is also pretty hot, but don't tell her that I said that.

IRIS:
i'll make sure not to tell her (; when do you need tutoring?

CRAZYGIRLFROMGYM:
um... ASAP this is a dire situation. Possibly even tonight?

IRIS:
hmmm, ik your biology tutor is a very busy person but i'll see if she could squeeze you into her schedule tonight. don't keep your fingers crossed.

Iris sent this text message, smiling knowingly. She, in fact, did not have a packed schedule, nor did she have anything to do tonight besides sitting in her bedroom and trying not to contemplate her existence. But she wasn't going to let Adi know that.