chapter forty-four

Iris woke up the next morning in a strange, yet oddly familiar, environment.

It took her a few moments of lying on the soft sheets and inhaling the familiar scent to realize she was in Adi's bed. It wasn't the first time Iris had woken up in the red-haired girl's bed.

Iris sat up slowly. Her head was pounding, and it felt that any sudden movement was going to knock her out. She turned slightly to see that Adi was sitting on a chair next to the bed, wide awake and watching her.

"Sorry, this probably looks really creepy," Adi said, voicing Iris' thoughts. "I woke up a few hours ago and didn't want to disturb your sleep, so I just sat here. Don't worry, I didn't watch you sleep."

Iris nodded slightly to show she understood what Adi was saying, but not hard enough for her brain to feel like it was splitting in half.

"Have some painkillers," Adi said, noticing Iris' pain. She fished out a bottle of Advil and offered Iris a bottle of water.

Mumbling her thanks, Iris took the pills and water bottle from Adi before leaning against the headboard of the bed as she let her thoughts settle and the intense pain that she was feeling ease up a little.

The whole time, Iris felt Adi watching her. Adi's soft eyes were grazing over Iris with concern. They simultaneously erupted warmth within her and sent a chill down her spine.

The events of last night came back to Iris and embarrassment settled over her, distracting her completely from the slight headache in her head. She had pretty much thrown herself at Adi and had basically gotten rejected.

However, there was a part of Iris that was thankful for Adi resisting her. She knew she was way too out of it the night before. Iris cleared her throat then, desperately trying to rid her mind of the thoughts she was having.

"So, um," Adi suddenly said, interrupting Iris' thoughts, "about last night..."

Iris froze up, sucking her cheeks in slightly. The last thing that she needed was for Adi to bring up the events of the night before. She was already dying of embarrassment just thinking of it.

"I'm sorry," Iris quickly said. 'I was just drunk and horny. It meant nothing." Iris immediately regretted the words the moment that they left her mouth. Partially because she knew that her desire for Adi wasn't something that just existed when she was drunk and or horny, and partially because of how harsh the words seemed.

Iris watched Adi immediately swallow at hearing her words, and a fresh wave of guilt passed over her.

"I didn't mean it like that," Iris quickly said, trying to double back, "I meant-"

"I know you didn't mean that," Adi interrupted instead, her steady gaze on Iris. "I was there. You wanted me, and not just because you were drunk, so stop trying to dismiss it."

Iris's mind instantly felt blank at Adi's bluntness. She felt herself grow hot under Adi's stare.

"Am I wrong?" Adi asked, cocking her head to the side slightly, "tell me you don't want me if I'm wrong."

"You're awfully cocky," was all Iris could say, her head spinning.

For a few moments, a slight smile appeared on Adi's face before disappearing from her face again. Instead, replaced by a serious expression. Adi said nothing for a few moments. Her soft eyes scanned over Iris before settling on her face.

Iris felt her skin grow warm as if she could physically feel it each time the red-haired girl even just looked at her. It scared Iris and amazed her at the same time.