CHAPTER 7

Noah raked his fingers through the damp hair, as he walked out of the bathroom in a pair of polyester shorts. He took out a T-shirt from the wardrobe and put it on. He took the hair dryer and looked at his reflection in the mirror. He pursed his lips and then let out a heavy sigh. He pressed the button and began to dry his hair. He missed his morning jog and slept throughout the morning as he wasn't able to sleep the entire night; if John hadn't come, he wouldn't even have dragged himself out of bed earlier in the afternoon. He had a nightmare of dying with Angelo's hands, as the story went on according to the novel. Angelo had broken his tiny bubble of hope with his rejection and presented him with the harsh reality that marrying him was impossible and unachievable. How he would make Angelo fall in love with him and marry him when he couldn't even make the man like him as a person.

He turned off the dryer. His hand ran through the dry hair, shuffling. He needed to stop thinking about Angelo. Although he kept telling him all this time, he couldn't stop his thoughts from derailing from its track; if he couldn't convince Angelo to marry him, he would be stuck in this world and die.

He laid the dryer on the dresser and went out of the room. The aroma of garlic mixed with other spices hit his nose from the kitchen. John had been preparing spaghetti and Leo was seated on the couch and watching a movie on the telly. 

"Starvin'?" John asked.

"Nuh."

He moved into the kitchen to make a cup of black coffee. While John served himself on a plate and taking a beer from the refrigerator, he sat down at a small round table close to the kitchen counter to eat. Later, Noah grabbed a chair across from him, putting down his cup. But John didn't bother to ask him what was weighing him down when his eyes stayed on the telly as he ate and sipped his beer. 

"He says he's not interested in me," Noah said meekly, grabbing his attention.

"Is it your face, or is it you?" he asked before taking a big bite of the spaghetti.

Noah paused to contemplate. The way Angelo's ardent gaze scurried over his face and earnestly scrutinized something. . .maybe his face was his type or maybe not. But it seemed he'd no interest in him when he'd distinctly stated to him after knowing that he was Antonio's henchman. 

"Definitely not my face," Noah said, convinced. 

"If you're gonna take this long, you might get the order to kill him."

Antonio had given him one month if he didn't win over Angelo, then it would be decided that he had to kill him when Antonio's every cell is itching with vengeance.

"The hell entire story?" he asked after taking a sip of the beer.

Noah told him that out of the blue, he confessed to Angelo that he had feelings for him without revealing to John that he'd asked Angelo to marry him and as well as, he'd figured out somehow Noah was Antonio's henchman.

By the time he finished telling, John was smiling. 

Noah's forehead creased and said,

"Are you smiling at the fact that I screwed up?"

"I am smilin' the fuck you got his interest in you after screwin' up."

"Why would you say this? I've told you he'd said clearly that he wasn't interested in me." He paused and continued, "he also said, 'I hope you'll love your life enough to stay away from me.'" If only Noah could tell Angelo that that was not an option for him to live his life by staying away from him. 

"He called you after your confession instead of ignorin' you... do you think every person who confesses to him meets him personally? He isn't that kind of bloke, Noah."