6.

It was the end of the day and Wednesday was walking back to her dorm when Xavier jogged up behind her.

"Oh, hey Wednesday! Fancy seeing you here."

"We go to the same school."

"Yeah...horrible, right? Absolutely hate going to school with you," He says, joking. "But, 'never to suffer would never to have been blessed', am I right?" Wednesday looks at him, shocked.

"Did you just quote 'Mesmeric Revelation'?" She asks.

"Yeah, really into it. It's just so...deep, you know?"

"Do you read Poe's work often?"

"Yeah, of course. I'm super into that stuff!" When he says this, he catches the corners of Wednesday's mouth moving upwards. She smiled. Xavier made Wednesday smile.

"Huh, I see. Well, I must head back to my room now. See you soon, Xavier."

"Yeah, let's have another talk soon."

"I'd like that." Wednesday walks away and down the corridor, passing all the other forms before reaching her own. She lets out a sigh and feels a full smile form on her face. No one has ever shown that much interest in the things she liked. Maybe Xavier really did want to be her friend, and she was okay with that. Still smiling, she walks into the room, expecting it to be empty.

"Hi, Wednesday. O-M-G! You're actually smiling, like properly smiling! Why are you smiling? I mean, don't get me wrong, you look so pretty. But why?" Enid blurts out. Wednesday puts on her blank face and faces Enid. Once again, she doesn't feel the need to lie.

"Nothing much, just Xavier. He quoted one of my favourite writers." Enid's smile drops. Xavier had made Wednesday smile because of what she told him. If anything, it was Enid who made her smile.

"Oh, was it Poe, or something?"

"Yes, how did you know?"

"Lucky guess. I've seen you reading books." Wednesday doesn't question Enid's response, but she can't help but find it suspicious that suddenly Xavier knows all about Wednesday's interests after he was talking to Enid at lunch.

"Why were you talking to Xavier at lunch? I thought we were going to sit together."

"Aw, did you really want to sit with me that much? He just needed some help with some biology homework, it was to do with werewolves so he asked me. That's all." Enid couldn't help but giggle about Wednesday really wanting to sit with her. But it also made her feel even guiltier about what she'd done. It was fine though, right? Nothing would come out of Xavier and Wednesday's friendship. She was sure of that.

She was wrong.