An Awkward Lunch

Nova and Milani went throughout their day with much more attention than usual. Complete strangers they had never seen before were asking both of them to confirm whether or not they were seriously dating. They always said they were. 

Lunch finally rolls around, and Nova goes to the caf to find Milani, and sees her in the far back corner. She grabs a tray and thinks about getting in line for the caf food, but decides not to after seeing that pizza's been raised from $3.00 to $5.00. (A/N: true story, my cafeteria did this I'm so mad)

Nova puts her tray back and walks towards Milani. As she gets closer, she sees Sara sitting next to her. They looked to be having a tense conversation. 

She got to the table and the two girls quieted down. Nova sits down next to Milani, across from Sara and holds Milani's hand, which was on the table. Sara sees this and tries to gesture to it with her eyes, though Milani didn't understand. 

"Sara are you ok?" Milani densely says. 

Sara sighs, dropping all hints of subtlety. She looks at Nova, "Is that my Metallica shirt?"

Nova looks down. "Oh yeah, it was in Milani's closet, I love the band and I didn't have much else to wear so," She falters. There's something wrong with Sara's expression.

Sara looks at Milani. "Milani......" She says quietly, "Can I talk to you privately?" Milani looks confused, but nods, and the two best friends walk a small distance away from the table.

At that same time, Jennie comes to the table, sitting across from Nova. "Nova we need to talk."

Nova scoffs at the obvious. 

Jennie continued, "I wanted to explain why I was mad. I was only looking out for you. I think I blatantly explained how Milani was manipulating you for her own personal gain. And now you're dating her? You're going to get your heart broken, and I don't want to be the one who takes care of you when you're too heartbroken to even eat."

"Well it's not like anyone else is going to take care of me anyways." Nova budges in. Her face shown anger and irritation. 

"It's not my fault you decided to leave your family. You knew the risk of living on your own. And anyways, what happened to making Milani mad by fucking up Sara's feelings? Are you so up your own ass that you can't see when you're hurting others?"

Oh

That's what Sara and Milani are talking about. Or were talking about. Because now they're walking back to the table.

Sara and Milani sit down, very tense from the conversation they just had. Nova sighs. "Milani, let's go, we can grab lunch from the vending machines or something." She grabs Milani's hand and pulls her up.

Again, whispers all across the cafeteria.

Milani smiles a little, loving the attention, as always, and says loud enough for Sara and Jennie to hear, "Wanna go to a supply closet and make out?" to which Nova laughed. 

As they left the cafeteria, Nova caught Gareth's eye. She hadn't forgotten him, though she tried her best. And now that she's dating his ex, things are probably going to be tenser than ever. Gareth gives Nova the stink eye and starts walking towards Jennie and Sara's table. 

Nova and Milani walk around school hand in hand, looking for a vending machine. They didn't go to a vending machine though. 

They went into a supply closet.

A/N: Holy shit sorry it's been so long. I had no idea what to write next but I think I have an idea now.

I have to mention how I got inspiration for the next few chapters by listening to Heat Waves by Glass Animals. 

It's their song now it's official!!