Chapter 4

"The greatest good is what we do for one another."

-Mother Teresa-

***

Ophelia's P.O.V

I woke up that morning after sleeping for God knew how long. When I turned my head, Helios was by my side.

"You've woken up, Ophelia. Please, have something to drink first." He said as he handed over a drink to me and I gulped it all down in one shot.

"How long have I been asleep?" I asked him.

"It's been three days. I was a little worried when you didn't wake up after a day but your breathing was still regular. I let you be so you could fully recover your mana." He replied. I handed him the glass back and he placed it on the table.

"How do you feel now, Ophelia? Are you okay?" He asked as he reached out his palm to touch my cheek. I smiled and touched his hand to comfort him.

"I'm fine, thank you for worrying about me, Helios." I rose from my seat and took a quick glance at my surrounding.

"Did something happen while I wasn't here? Were there any visitors?" He hesitated a bit before answering. I wondered why.

"There were a few people yesterday. They looked a bit different from your normal villagers. They wore really fancy outfit and claimed they came from the palace."

"They wanted to meet you but I said you were asleep, so they left this letter."

I saw a sealed letter in his hand. I took it and checked the wax seal. It had the empire's royal emblem on it. I know it very well because I have seen it before, a long time ago.

"You said this is a letter from the palace?" I asked to reconfirm with Helios and he nodded. I sighed before opening it.

'Dear Miss Von Wickhelm,

I, the emperor of Nassis, Edward Aristos have heard of your good deeds for the people in the village and the kingdom.

The tale of your healing power has reached the capital. Right now, the princess of the empire, Serena Aristos has fallen ill and no physicians could completely heal her.

We have lost all hope until we heard about you.

Therefore, I would like invite you to the palace as soon as possible. A carriage would be sent three days from now to pick you up. I wish to heard good news from you.

With regards,

Edward Aristos."

I would have never expected this. After five hundred years of living quietly outside of the capital, I would be invited to the palace. It was surreal.

The flashbacks of what the humans did to my people in the past suddenly returned to me.

I still remembered how the first emperor cruelly ordered the knights to butcher my family. Right now, after all these times, someone from the Aristos bloodline would actually ask me for help. How ironic.

"Ophelia, what's wrong? You look scary." Helios called my name, snapping me out of my own thoughts. I shook my head and placed my hand on his cheek.

"It's nothing, Helios. It's just the emperor is inviting me to the palace. I will head to the capital in two days." I told him. His expression suddenly fell.

"What do you mean you are leaving for the capital? Are you going to abandon me here? Please don't abandon me, bring me with you Ophelia." He pleaded with his puppy eyes. I quickly shook my head.

"No, I can't bring you along with me. Someone must guard this place until I come home. You will be staying here and that's final!" I ordered him and he was clearly displeased by my one sided decision.

"Ophelia, is it because I'm a dragon? I can go in my human form. I promise no one would know about my true identity.

Please bring me with you I don't want to be left behind here all alone." He pleaded again while hugging my knees.

I sighed and leaned forward to meet his eyes. I placed a finger under his chin and forced him to look at me in the eyes.

"Helios, you have to be a good boy. I will be back in a week at most. The trip to the capital and back would take around two days. But no matter what, I promise I will be back. Just watch over the manor for me, okay?" I softly demanded.

"You promise you will be back soon?" He asked again.

"Yes, I promise I'll be back soon." I gave him my word and he stood up before leaning closer to give me a tight hug. I patted him on the back, trying to soothe him.

The two of us had never been separated for almost a hundred years. His fear was completely understandable.

He was a young adult by then, so he shouldn't act like a child just because I was going away for a week.

For the next two days, before I headed to the capital, Helios never left my side.

Before, he would listen to me when I asked him to leave me alone since I needed to do work or something important alone but this time, he wasn't listening at all.

He sticked to me for two whole days, not even letting me out of his sight.

I let him do it anyway since I felt a little bad but he couldn't act like this forever.

The time finally arrived for me to leave for the capital, Helios kept on watching me from behind with a sad expression. Before I walked into the carriage, I turned around and give him one last hug.

"Please take care of the manor while I am not here." I reminded him gently and he nodded. I entered the carriage and stole one last glance to Helios who had his face on the ground.

In one hundred years being together, I have never seen him so heartbroken.

"Sorry to leave you alone, Helios. But I have a more important business to attend to right now." I murmured to myself.

It had been five hundred years since I had any contact with the royal family.

I wondered what kind of people are they? Could they be the same as the first emperor who despised witches and dragons?

Or is it possible that things have changed after all these years?

Five hundred years has never been a short time. It could change a lot of things.

"I guess the only way to find out is to head there myself."