Chapter 40

"Tenderness is the name for a lover's most exquisite sensation, protection is implied in his most generous and heart thrilling impulse."

-William Godwin-

***

Ophelia's P.O.V

"Lia!" Helios called my name and the arrow was about to hit me when an ice shield was formed right before me and a snow wave appeared and crashed on the side, causing someone to fall from the tree, I took a look at who it was.

Turned out it was an assassin. I could easily tell by the way this person was dressed.

However, what surprised me the most was the gender of the assassin.

It was a woman.

Before Helios could do anything, Neo had walked in front of me and I could see the assassin struggled to get up from the pile of snow, not just because half of her legs were buried in snow, but her legs appeared to be frozen, if she forced it, they might break.

Suddenly large shards of ice surrounded her, making it almost impossible for her to escape. The only empty spot was facing us.

I watched from the side as Neo slowly and calmly approached that woman. The air around him changed and I could feel the weather was getting colder.

It was winter, it was supposed to be cold but this strange coldness was abnormal.

I could see his icy blue eyes gleamed a strange hue of dark blue.

"How dare you, a mere human, tried to hurt my master?" He spoke.

His voice was calm as usual, but there was hint of anger in there. The assassin was trembling in fear. It was expected, she probably never met anything like Neo before.

"Please, please..." The woman pleaded.

I felt a little bit of pity for this woman but no matter what, she tried to assassinate me. I guessed she must be sent by someone who hated my involvement with the crown prince.

I could have told Neo to stop, but she wanted to hurt me.

I couldn't let her get away with it as well, people like that would just try to do more if you gave them any mercy. I learnt that after being in the palace for some time.

"What should I do with a mortal like you?" He lifted his palm and shards of ice formed in the air.

They were pointy, like knives. If he released them toward her, it would be an instant death. Helios hugged me protectively and forced me to turn the other way.

"Don't watch, Lia, this may be too gore for you." He told me. From behind, I could hear Neo speak again.

"Die." I could hear the sound of the ice moving at a godly speed and the sound of flesh being stabbed echoed in the air.

When I turned around, the woman was already dead with ice shards piercing every part of her body.

At that moment, I could see a piece of ice shards floating in the air, stained with blood and it slowly moved toward our direction.

The ice shards grew bigger and turned into a medium sized mirror. Suddenly, I could see a vision from the shard, it was like watching a movie.

The woman's face appeared in there.

"What is this, Neo?" I asked him.

"The ice is made out of water and blood is partially made of water as well. It allows us to discover her story."