Chapter 16

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."

-Maya Angelou-

***

Ophelia's P.O.V

Ilia started telling me the story of how she met Raiden for the first time as we walked inside the temple, avoiding any prying eyes outside.

"Ten years ago, after my initiation as the chief of holy priests, I went to a village as my first missionary mission. During my visit, I stumbled across a wounded man on the street."

"It was Raiden, but at this time, I had no idea he was a dragon. He looked completely human. I brought him back to the temple and used my mana light to cure him. Fortunately, his wound wasn't that deep." She explained.

"Once he was awake, he seemed cautious of me. It took a few days of him to get used to my presence. To understand that I am not an enemy. It worked. Almost two months later, he was cured. By this point, I have bonded well with him."

Raiden looked at her with a grateful gaze. He must recalled that time as well.

"Then, one night, he showed me his true form. It was my first time seeing the existence of dragon in real life. It was an eye opening experience." She breathed.

"He had nowhere else to go, so I give him a place to stay. Right now, he has become my confidante." She smiled at Raiden and the scary looking man who had put on a poker face surprisingly smiled as well.

I didn't think dragons would be discovered that easily. I guessed what happened between the two of them was fate.

Once she was done telling her story, she turned her attention to me.

"What's your story with your dragon, Helios? How long have you been together?" She asked.

Ah, I never told that story to anyone before.

"I found him as an egg a hundred years ago, raised him and now he's my familiar." I replied back, keeping the story short.

"A hundred years ago!? How old are you?" She was surprised when she heard it.

"I've lived for too long, I have forgotten my exact age. But it's around six hundred years or maybe more." I replied. It's true.

Once you have lived for a long time like me, time becomes vague.

Ilia was shocked by my statement.

"Six hundred years? I couldn't imagine living for that long. I always knew witches could live longer than humans, but I didn't think they would live that much longer." She admitted.

"It's not a big deal anymore. We are not immortal. If we are badly wounded, we could still die."

"But fortunately, I am the healer witch, if I get injured, I have a natural self-healing ability, the only way for me to die is through self-annihilation or when someone hurt me beyond saving point. I would probably live for another five to a thousand more years before I die." I said.

"Lia, don't say something like that! I don't want to live in a world without you, Lia. Promise me you will never say anything like that again!" Helios suddenly cut the conversation with an angry demeanor. He was upset.

"Okay, I understand, I won't say anything like that anymore. Don't be mad now, Helios." I tried to calm him down. Ilia and Raiden exchanged gazes and she suddenly spoke again.

"The two of you seem very close. Your relationship reminds me of my own with Raiden, but the two of you have been together for nearly a hundred years, so you must be closer with each other than what I could imagine."

"Hm... I don't even think about it anymore. Being around Helios and dealing with him is second nature to me. If he's not by my side, it would feel strange." I admitted.

Helios suddenly stopped me and hugged me from behind, a huge smile was present on his face.

"I'm so happy you say that, Lia." He blushed like a maiden. We eventually stopped walking when we reached the library.

"Let's step in, nobody would disrupt our conversation in here." The four of us went inside the library and once it was locked with magic, Ilia and Raiden's expression became serious.

"Actually, there is something that has been concerning me. Lately, whenever I walk around the capital, I would feel a dark presence." A frown appeared on her face.

"It's brief and sometimes rather faint, but still noticeable. Raiden seems to agree with me, but to him, the presence was rather familiar."

She turned her attention to Raiden, as if asking him to continue the story.

The man had been quiet since we met and it was the first time he opened his mouth to speak.

His voice was rather heavy and deep, surely, I could only imagine, if he was mad, it would sound like the sound of thunder.

"The presence she felt was the same presence that attacked me before. It's the presence of a dark witch!" He clenched his fist.

"A dark witch? How is that even possible?" I asked. To my knowledge, the dark witch clan lived far away from the empire, on a thousand skulls mountain and they had never been part of the empire's history.

"I couldn't be wrong about it. The presence I felt was that of a dark witch. I met her for the first time ten years ago. I was traveling across the continent and met her by accident."

"She offered to make me her familiar, but I felt a strong bloody and vengeful aura on her. She must have killed plenty of people. I didn't want to serve someone like that, so I refused and she started attacking me." He recalled.

"That witch, though she was young, she was very strong. Even my thunder strike couldn't seem to harm her."

"What does she look like?" I asked curiously.

"She has a milky white skin, deep purple hair and crimson eyes filled with anger and hatred." He replied.

Hm? Why did that description sounded somewhat familiar to me?

"If such a powerful witch has made her presence known in the capital, who knows what she would do next. I am worried. You are a witch as well, Ophelia, maybe you could find a way to deal with her." She suggested.

"Yes, I am a witch, but I am from the healing clan. My abilities are used to help people. Not attacking someone." I didn't even like the idea of hurting others.

"Although, if she is truly a dark witch, then my light might be able to do some damage to her." I admitted.

"I see, it couldn't be helped. I just want to let you know in case you have any idea about her." While she was talking, suddenly the sound of clock's rhyme echoed in the air.

"It's getting late, the two of you should head back to your room to get some rest. Your carriage would be ready tomorrow morning after breakfast."

"Yes, we will head back then. Good night Ilia and Raiden." I greeted them goodnight, Helios didn't say anything and just followed behind me back to our room.

"I wonder what kind of surprise would await us tomorrow?"