5

The next morning, I still haven't been able to eat, which upset Loretta in the worst way possible. She practically tried to shove a piece of toast down my throat as I was walking out the door, but how could I eat at a time like this? The whole town despises me, even the people I was once the closest to, and that leaves my stomach feeling empty and raw.

Three hours into my shift during the lunch rush, not eating for almost two days is getting to me. Every so often, the whole world spins and I find myself clutching onto the nearest object in order not to fall over.

I ask the bartender for a glass of water during my break and chug the whole thing down. It doesn't stop how hot it is today though, which only adds onto my dizziness.

"Ya look like shit," Ronny, one of the construction guys who's working with Wyatt scans me from head to toe, tilting his head to one of the stools. "Sit down."

I'm too sick to even tell him no. My body is lacking energy, but somehow I'm able to slide into the stool and put my forehead on the counter. I close my eyes and inhale deeply before Ronny returns with a wet rag and places it in my hand. "I was just kiddin' about the shit thing," he says with a crooked smile. "Yer' prolly the prettiest girl Darlington's ever seen."

"Ronny!" Wyatt barks from across the patio. He's holding a piece of wood, the knuckles of his skin white as he sends him a death glare. "Get back to work."

"Macey's about to pass out," he replies. "Gimme a sec."

My vision is blurry, but I can still see the glimmer of concern flash across Wyatt's eyes. It just barely peaks through the facade of stone. I can see him contemplate what to do, but he eventually lets out an angry sigh and sets down the piece of wood just as Loretta walks briskly to my side. "What the hell did I say about not eatin?" She sneers, making a tsk tsk sound. "Foolish, foolish girl. Wyatt, take her inside where it's cool."

I'm waiting for him to object, to give her an excuse as to why he can't, but surprisingly he takes three long strides and swoops me into his arms. I'm pressed against the side of his chest, his large, muscular hands wrapped under my legs. He smells like he always used to, a mixture of pinewood and mint, and it brings me back to happier times. Times when he didn't hate me and we'd curl up in the bed of his truck, my face nuzzled into the nape of his neck.

He sets me down into a chair so quickly, like my body is on fire and can't be held for too long. I'm given a sandwich and another glass of water by Loretta, who threatens me with her life that I won't be working until the sandwich is gone. She scurries off back to the kitchen, leaving Wyatt and I alone, surrounded by the shattered pieces of a place that used to be beautiful.

How fitting.

"Why aren't you eating?" He asks.

I narrow my eyes. "Oh, you're speaking to me now?"

His jaw clenches and unclenches, avoiding eye contact with me at all cost. Even angry, he still looks like a work of art. His chest is bare, sweat dripping down it from working outside in the heat all day. I want to know what favor he owes Loretta, but if I ask him, then I'll have to tell him mine, and I'm too embarrassed to do that now.

"Only because you aren't eating. I didn't take you to be that dense."

His words are like a crushing blow to my chest. "Guess I get stupider with time, then, huh?"

"Eat." He pushes the plate closer towards me, and when I still don't budge, he crosses his large arms across his chest, letting me know he's not planning on moving until I do so.

He should know that I've never been one to listen. I send him a smug grin and lean back into the chair, pushing his buttons. I'd never tell Wyatt that I couldn't eat because of our altercations that we keep having. I'm not trying to guilt him into coming back to me. He needs to heal at his own pace, and I'm willing to wait, I just didn't think he'd be this difficult to deal with.