8

Eight years earlier

Every Friday night, Darlington has a town meeting. The subject can range from a variety of topics: a much-needed stop sign, a charity event to raise money for the school, new lamp posts in the town square... All of the suggestions were boring, but the real reason to come was for the debate.

In a town as small as Darlington, people had nothing better to do than fight over what color the lamp posts should be or whether or not the charity event should consist of a dance or a bake sale. It was comical, honestly, and I'm glad Wyatt convinced me to come. He told me I wouldn't regret it, and I guess he was right.

As the townspeople file out of the double doors, Wyatt walks beside me, his arm brushing against mine. We haven't had our first date yet. It's this weekend, and just thinking about it makes me nervous. I have no clue what he has planned, but every time I'd try and ask about it he wouldn't give a damn thing away.

This entire week we haven't been able to stay away from each other. After school, I take a ride back in his truck to help out with the farm for a few hours, and then we'll go to The Starlighter for some food or the local ice cream shop for dessert. Within the past two weeks, I've become so close to him that it's terrifying. I've never felt this way before about anyone, and I certainly never thought I'd meet someone like this in the small town of Darlington. That's for sure. 

"Now we go to Loretta's," Wyatt says, pulling out the keys to his truck.

"Who?" I ask. "Everyone?"

He nods. "Pretty much. She always has food and drinks there."

Sending me a death glare when I try to reach for the handle of his truck, he takes two large steps in front of me to beat me to it, opening the door up swiftly for me to climb inside.

"Loretta seems like she's a pretty important person around here," I say when he starts the engine.

He shrugs. "She just kinda earned her place. Born and raised here, ya know? She's gained the respect of everyone."

I wince as I remember all of her tattoos and gruff voice. "Or they're just scared of her."

He chuckles. "That too."

After a ten-minute ride, he pulls into a driveway with about eight or so cars parked on the lawn. Loretta's house is massive—a wrap-around porch with rockers, and a huge garden that seems tended to frequently with a weeping willow towering over it. I've never seen anything quite so pretty.

"Wow," I say, completely breathless.

"Yeah, I know. Her husband built The Starlighter, and since it's the only restaurant in town, you can only imagine how much she accumulates every year. She owns it now since her husband, Rick passed away last June."

He opens up my door for me, and when he begins to head in the direction of the house, I veer off for the garden. I know it's not my place to inspect someone else's yard, but I can't help myself. The flowers are in full bloom, ranging from hues of blues and reds and yellows. The weeping willow tree almost brushes the tips of the petals, and I reach out to grab some of the twigs, basking in the ambiance of daisies and roses.

"We don't have stuff like this in New York," I say to Wyatt when I realize he's joined me.

"Trees?" He asks.

"No, just...space, you know? The flowers, the gardens, the farms... It's beautiful here."

He smiles. "Sounds like to me you might be becomin a country chick, darlin."

"No, I can just appreciate beauty when I see it. I still want to move back to New York at some point. Fashion is what I ultimately want to study, and that degree would have no business here in a place like Darlington. New York is my home, and as nice as this place is, it'll never be home."

For the first time, a flicker of disappointment flashes across Wyatt's face, but he quickly gets ahold of himself and picks a rose from the garden, twirling it between his fingertips. "I don't think a home is a place," he admits, walking closer to me. I gulp when he's standing right in front of me, my back pressing against the bark of the willow tree.

"What makes you say that?" I can hardly choke out.

He places the rose behind my ear and caresses my cheek with his hand, his thumb brushing my reddened skin. In seconds, my body feels like it's up in flames. "I think a home is a person you feel most comfortable with. When you find the one you're meant to be with, you could be anywhere in the world with them and still feel at home. Be at peace."

I smile softly, keeping my eyes locked on his. "I like that theory."

"Me too. And darlin..." He heaves out a sigh and glances around at the garden and the willow tree before focusing back on me. "If it weren't for my manners, I'd have already kissed you by now. It's killin' me."

"Trying to maintain your southern charm?" I tease.

He nods as he scans my lips, and even with the distant chatter from inside Loretta's house, it's as if it's just the two of us in our own little sanctuary. The cicadas are buzzing, and the garden fountains are drowning out every rational thought I have. My arms hook around his neck before I gently scrape the edge of his hairline at the base of his head with my fingertips, hearing him intake a sharp breath.

"It's a good thing I'm not a country chick, then, isn't it? To hell with southern charm."

The grin he gives me stops my entire world, and when he leans in to press his lips against mine, everything just...stops. Time stands still. The chatter from the nearby house vanishes and the fountains in the garden stop running. The only sound I hear are those beautiful cicadas—their buzzing echoing the static in my body.

Wyatt grips my hips and presses my back against the willow tree, slipping his tongue into my mouth. His lips are so soft, so delicate that they feel like velvet. I've kissed boys before, but never like this. Never so passionately...tenderly...

Our kiss grows stronger, and we're both breathing heavily through our noses as his hands run up into my hair and mine glide down his back. I grip his t-shirt to try and calm myself down, but it's no use. I'm fully worked up, and so is he.

I tilt my head to the side, breaking our kiss and begging him to touch another part of me, which he does without hesitation. His lips meet my neck, and he licks and sucks, lapping his tongue over the hickey he's already formed when a moan slips out of my throat. Wyatt groans in response and hikes my thigh up to press against me even more. I'm wearing a yellow sundress, and as his hand trails further and further up, his breath catches in his throat before he takes a large step back. His eyes are wide, and he's still panting heavily as we both try to calm ourselves down.

My cheeks are flushed and my lips are parted and I can't think of anything to say after that.

My brain is too foggy.

My limbs are too weak.

The earth has tilted on its axis and I'm finding it hard to remain on two feet.

"Darlin..." He takes a deep breath and lets out a laugh. "You are gonna be dangerous as all hell."

A/N:

I literally love this story with my ENTIRE being. You just have no idea. 

How are you guys enjoying it?

There haven't been many comments, which makes me sad. 

Also, I know this was kind of a short chapter, but the next 3 are waaaay longer if that makes you feel any better <3

Can we get some comments on the chapters pleeeease? :/ and some votes if you're feeling generous?

Twitter: believeeexoxo

Instagram: deannafaison_

TikTok: authordeannafaison