33

MACEY

One year later

These giant scissors feel odd in my hands.

I'm trying to angle them correctly against the velvet red ribbon draped across the entrance of my store, but I'm shaking too much to hold them steady. It's the grand opening today, and almost the entire town is here to witness it. 

Over the past year, I've worked my ass off with Loretta to learn all I needed before we opened, and with the help of my sexy, hot-as-hell husband, he built me the store of my dreams.

Wyatt notices me shaking and steps up behind me, clasping his large, calloused hand over mine. "We'll do it together," he says with a smile.

With his help, the ribbon is successfully cut, and the sheer eruption of applause has me blinking away tears. I doubted myself because I didn't make it in the city, but ever since I moved back to Darlington, I can't help but think it's because I was meant to belong elsewhere.

I was meant to belong here with Loretta and Abigail, who has become my best friend since living here, and Wyatt, who is the best thing to ever happen to me. This man believed in me when I didn't believe in myself, and after all those years of being apart, he never gave up hope. Not once.

Standing back in front of my shop, I'm grinning from ear to ear as people begin to grab hangers strung with my designs and mosey their way to the fitting rooms in the back.

"I'm so proud of you, darlin'," Wyatt whispers. All the hairs stand up on the back of my neck from his closeness. "I'm takin' you out tonight to celebrate."

I tilt my head back to stare up at him. "Can't wait. This is as much your win as it is mine. You're the one who help build the place."

He shrugs. "With Timmy and Dylan's help. It wasn't just me."

Right. Because when they found out they were the reason Wyatt and I split in the first place by assuming I slept with Parker, they've been groveling at my feet for forgiveness. I gave it to them a long time ago, but it did come in handy to ask them to help Wyatt to speed up the process and the grand opening.

Loretta hobbles over on her cane, eyeing the shop and all the customers inside. Her lip tilts at the side into an almost smile. "You did good, Macey Brooks."

I reach over to squeeze her free hand. "We did good. I couldn't have done any of this without you."

She rolls her eyes. I'm not surprised since she's never been one to give affection. "Yeah, yeah. Just make sure you get off yer' feet at some point today. No need to work yerself' to the bone."

Wyatt places a hand on my stomach, rubbing a gentle circle. "I've got her. Don't worry, Loretta."

"Will you both give it a rest? I'm pregnant, not helpless. I can walk around for a few hours and be fine. I know my limits."

Wyatt shoots me a stern look. "Really? Is that why you tried to carry a bin of fabric by yourself yesterday?"

"It wasn't even heavy!"

Loretta huffs, thumping her cane against the floor. "Stubborn as a damn bull."

"Tell me about it," Wyatt agrees.

I'm exhausted from their bickering, but it warms my heart to know that I have people who care about me so much. Everyone that matters is here today, and that's all I focus on. Wyatt's mom is chatting with my dad by the bar of The Starlighter, and Timmy and Dylan are making a last minute painting fix on one of the beams in the corner. Abigail is helping run the register for me this morning, and Parker, who doesn't live here, promised to make a trip up next month to see everyone, not just me.

I've made a family of my own here. For the first time, I'm happy. Truly happy. There isn't a thing I could ever want for when I have it all right at my fingertips.

Glancing down at Wyatt's hand circling my stomach, I place mine over his and squeeze gently. Our baby girl will be here in less than two months, and I know Wyatt is going to be the best daddy in the entire world. He shows it in the way he constantly dotes over me.

Rubbing my feet after a long day of sewing, making me tea every morning during the early trimesters when I was nauseous, building the whole damn nursery by himself. He loves our little girl more than anything already and he hasn't even met her yet.

"I love you," he murmurs as if reading my thoughts. "This life we're buildin' together is special, darlin'."

I twist so that his arms are around my waist now, hooking my arms around his neck. There's a bit of distance between us since my stomach is so large, but it only makes him smile bigger. "A part of me can't wait for her to be here," I admit. "I'm so tired of feeling like a whale."

He huffs a laugh. "Seeing you carryin' our baby is the sexiest thing in the world." I know he means it. Ever since he found out I was pregnant, the sex has been non-stop. We were extremely active before, but now? The man can't keep his hands off of me. Not that I'm complaining, of course.

"You sure?" I ask.

"Positive, darlin'. In fact..." He dares to move his hands lower, settling just above my ass. "I'll show you just how sexy you are later tonight."

I groan, knowing that means I'll have to actually have sex. Don't get me wrong, I love sex as much as the next person, but when I'm eight months pregnant? I don't feel like doing anything.

Wyatt gets the hint, and he bends down to whisper in my ear, "You don't gotta do a damn thing, darlin'. Just lay on your back and enjoy it, alright?"

How in the world did I get so lucky?

I'm barely able to nod, too caught up in his scent to notice Loretta thump her cane down again.

"If y'all can get a room, that would be greatly appreciated."

"Don't count on it," Timmy says, coming up to stand beside Wyatt. "Dylan and I stopped showin' up for game night ever since Macey here got pregnant. The touching has only gotten worse." He shudders. Wyatt flicks him in the ear, causing him to laugh.

As our friends debate the totally inappropriate topic of our sex life, I turn to lean into Wyatt's strong, muscular chest. His hands come around my waist to hold my stomach again, which causes our daughter to kick with delight, and for the first time, I don't have any fears about belonging here. 

I'm home.

Author's Note

Ahhhh we've reached the end!

I hope you guys enjoyed Macey and Wyatt's story as much as I did.

Please comment and let me know what you thought!

THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT <3

twitter: believeeexoxo

Instagram: deannafaison_

Tiktok: authordeannafaison