6

Eight years earlier...

"So, you're either taking me to a place where you're about to murder me, or..." I scan around the huge stalks of corn as his truck travels down a bumpy path of nothing but grass. "Well, I can't think of another option, really. How am I going? Axe or shovel?"

He laughs, and the sound is like music to my ears. "Ya need to get used to livin in the country, darlin. Your house is in the sticks just like mine."

"Your house?"

Just as I'm about to prompt him further, the stalks of corn fade away, and a beautiful farmhouse comes into view. It's like a scene out of a movie. Ocean blue sky, green grass, and a house so big it looks like the country version of a mansion. There's a wraparound porch with rockers looking out into the countryside, and a huge tree in the front with a tire swing hanging off one of the branches.

"This is your house?" I ask, completely in awe.

He nods and shuts off the engine. "My parents own the farm. It'll be mine one day."

I look at him in disbelief. "All of this. Like, all of it?"

The farm goes on for miles. There are fields and fields of different plants and vegetables, all of which I know nothing about. It smells like fresh manure, the summer breeze whipping my hair all around as I climb out of his truck. The chocolate stain I made only an hour ago on his seat has only gotten worse, but as much anxiety as I'm facing over it, Wyatt told me it was fine, so I'm trying my best to let it go.

"I've grown up here my whole life. It's not as daunting as it looks. Every job, every task that's needed to upkeep it I've been taught to do."

That's so...manly. I'm trying to picture Wyatt moving stacks of hay, or whatever the hell it is people do on a farm, but all I'm getting is a shirtless version of him, which only makes my heart palpitate at an ungodly rate.

"Come on, I want to bring you to the stables." He leads the way down another path, and after taking one final glance at the enormous farmhouse, I pick up my pace to catch up to him, walking side by side between more stalks of corn. "Have you ever ridden a horse?"

My eyes practically bug out of my head. "What? No. I've never even been up close and personal with one, let alone ridden one."

He chuckles, the sound so deep and grainy that I'm practically swooning. "I didn't think so."

Another huge building comes into view, a barn with open doors. We pass bails of hay as we enter, and whatever I thought a stable was going to look like, I was wrong. This barn is elaborate. It's all wood, but it's modern. Sleek. Renovated. A mini-chandelier hangs from the ceiling, cobblestone lining the inside of the barn. I'm still in awe when Wyatt grabs a mason jar from one of the shelves and waves for me to follow him.

We pass by multiple little areas filled with hay, and I gasp when a horse sticks its head out right beside Wyatt, nuzzling its nose up against his cheek. "Hey, dolly girl." He pets her chestnut brown mane, the hair so silky and smooth that it almost seems fake. I'm still standing about six feet away, holding my breath as if the horse will jump out of its room and tackle me. Wyatt notices and smiles. "She's a sweet girl. I promise."

Inching closer, Dolly lets out a blow through her nose, which scares the living shit out of me. I jump about ten feet into the air as Wyatt laughs and grabs onto my hand to bring it to her muzzle. I've never been a pet person. I don't like dogs, and I despise cats, but the minute I touch Dolly, there's a look in her eye that almost seems like she can tell I'm nervous. It's as if she's reassuring me to continue petting her, so I do.