30

I haven't been able to sit still since I got here.

Somewhere in this old barn transformed into a makeshift runway, Macey is here. The love of my life is backstage, but I refuse to mess with her head and interfere when she's probably stressed as hell right now. She's worked so hard on these designs, and it's all the entire town could talk about. I can wait an hour or two more to get down on one knee.

No big deal.

The runway is surrounded by about one hundred chairs shared by all the locals, and with everyone discussing Macey and the excitement of her designs, I feel like I'm going to puke. I was such a dick to her, and I can only hope she forgives me.

My leg bounces in the seat as Loretta plops beside me with a huff. A cane is at her side; thankfully, it distracts me from my nerves. "Why do you have a cane?"

She rolls her eyes. "It's old age, boy. You should be more concerned about why you haven't gotten yer' head out of yer' ass yet with that girl backstage."

"I have," I admit. "I'm askin' her to marry me as soon as this show is done."

Loretta smiles, and the sight is rare for the crotchety old woman, so my mouth gapes until she says, "It's about damn time, Wyatt. You still got the ring?"

Running a hand over my hair, I heave out a sigh. "I gave it to her when she broke up with me right after high school. I don't know if she still has it."

I wince when she whacks me with her cane. "You gave your old family heirloom to a girl who dumped you? Do you know how much trouble I spent gettin' that damn thing back for you?"

It's true. My first favor I ever owed her. That, and getting Macey to go out with me after I saw her for the first time at The Starlighter.

The ring I gave Macey wasn't just any ring. It was a piece of jewelry passed down from my grandfather to my father when he died. It belonged to my grandmother, and since my father was already married, he gave it to one of my cousins who was getting married that same year. Then my cousin got divorced, and I didn't want to be lectured by my family for getting engaged too soon after I met Macey, so I asked Loretta for some help to track it down. Thankfully, my cousin's ex-wife never sold it, and after she heard the story, she handed it over without a problem.

"It was Macey," I reply defensively. "I knew from the start she was the one. I wouldn't have wanted anyone else to have it, even if things didn't work out between us."

"Stupid, stupid, sap," she says, but she places a hand on my shoulder and squeezes it. "Glad ya' finally got yer' head out of yer' ass, kid. Do ya' need help with the proposal?"

I shake my head. "No. I want it to be real simple—just the two of us."

The lights dim, and I hold my breath the entire time as the show commences. I don't doubt her designs are amazing, but I hope the models don't fall, and selfishly, I want things to go right tonight. Everything has to be perfect.

As expected, the reaction from the crowd is incredible. Macey designed every single one of these outfits with Darlington in mind. From the cowgirl jeans with cute bedazzled butterflies to the long sundresses for church, everyone around me is curious about the price. They want to buy it. All of it.

"Think she'll finally believe in herself now?" Loretta asks.

"I sure hope so," I reply.

***

Macey's designs raised over five-thousand dollars, and that's a hell of a lot of money for Darlington. She received a standing ovation when she took her bow before the auction began, but she couldn't see me from all the lights. She probably thinks I didn't come, which hurts more than anything.

The crowd buzzes as they wait to talk to Macey, but I want to get to her first. There's no security since this is a makeshift fashion show, so I fly backstage in search of my girl. A few models linger by the side, gushing about the outfits they wore. "Have y'all seen Macey?" I ask.

Two of them shake their heads, but the blonde one says, "I think she's doing an interview with the local newspaper. The editor caught her as soon as the show was over."

"Do you know which way they went?"

She points towards an area blocked off by a bail of hay. "Over there, I think."

"Thanks."

My long legs crawl over the hay in no time, but as soon as I round the corner, an entire crowd surrounds her. I can see her because I'm so tall, but she's so involved in the interview that she doesn't notice me. She looks professional as hell in a blue pencil dress, beautiful as hell, and the urge to crash that interview is so intense that I have to take a large step back.

This is not going to plan.

Granted, I'm thrilled her designs are getting this much attention because it's all she's ever wanted, but judging from the crowd surrounding her and the editor, I'm lucky if I'll get to speak to her in another two hours.

This is going to be a huge stepping stone in her career, and if my speech isn't what she wants to hear, do I really want to ruin it for her?

She deserves to have this night of success to herself, and if I've waited this long, I can speak to her tomorrow when she's well-rested and has a clear head. It's probably for the best.

But fuck if it isn't going to kill me in the process.

Author's Note

THE ANGST!!!!

I'm so excited to release the final two chapters to you!

I know this was a short chapter, so I will also update Saturday!

HOPE YOU ENJOYED <3

Twitter: believeeexoxo

Instagram: deannafaison_

Tiktok: authordeannafaison