32

WYATT

When the clock strikes midnight, I still haven't moved. A bottle of whiskey sits in front of me on the coffee table and a random movie flickers on the television that I haven't paid any mind to.

There's no way I'll be able to sleep—not when Macey is somewhere in this town and remains unaware of my feelings for her. The fashion show was incredible tonight, and all of her success deserved to be celebrated without the complication the admission of my feelings might bring her. So, until the sun starts to rise, I'll sit here and wait.

It also doesn't help that I'm worried Parker went and saw her show. Granted, he said he'd never make a move on her, but he admitted he had a crush a while back. What if he shows up, and Macey decides to try things again with him? If I'm out of the equation and she thinks I no longer want her, will she try and give things with Parker a shot?

Letting out a sigh of frustration, I run my hands over my face. The exhaustion consumes me, but I refuse to give in to it. I'll be at Macey's doorstep as soon as that rooster crows.

Suddenly, knocks sound on my door. I pause the television and glance over my shoulder, threading my eyebrows together at the thought of who it could possibly be.

For a second, a sliver of fear strikes through me at the possibility of Caroline showing up at my door, but after I refused to sell her family my father's land and she caught Macey and me in bed, she packed up her things and left town, which is unsurprising. I haven't heard a lick of news since then. 

Did she come back?

With a large gulp, I swing open the door to feel the breath leave my lungs.

Macey is standing on my doorstep with tears in her eyes, still in the dress she wore to the fashion show tonight. Her hands are trembling, and I instantly go to reach for one until I see it.

The ring.

On her left hand.

"Y-You told me when we broke up all those years ago that if I were ever back in Darlington to show up at your doorstep wearing this ring. You wanted to plan the wedding and start making babies, and I..." She laughs, and the sound is like music to my ears. "Loretta told me everything that happened between you and Parker. I can't help but blame myself for not remembering that night and wasting all those years with us, but I'm here now, and I know you came to the fashion show tonight, but I guess I'm still trying to figure out if you're willing to give us a second chance."

I blink at her admission, attempting to calm my racing heart. I thought I'd be the one to grovel at her feet, not the other way around.

"I've left you before," she continues, "and I don't plan on being an idiot anymore by doing it again. I'm here for the long run, Wyatt, and I put this ring on my finger because I'm ready for a life with you. The babies, the wedding... All of it. I'm ready."

No words come to mind, so I'm standing here like an idiot as I try to think of something to say. I can see her pulse thrumming rapidly against her throat, her eyes wide as she waits for my response.

"What are you thinking right now?" She asks.

A grin tugs on my lips, and finally, I gain the ability to speak. "I'm thinkin' I want to take you to my bed and get started on this family of ours. Make up for all the lost time."

A strangled sob releases from her throat. "Yeah?"

I nod and close the distance, scooping her into my arms. She's straddling my waist, and when my hands are firmly on her ass, nothing in this world can bring me down. I've got her back, and she's never leaving my arms again.