15

I was trying to gasp for air as Abdyl was strangling me with his hands. I tried to make him pull away by scratching and clawing at his hands but he wouldn't budge. Instead he laughed. 

His wicked, sickening laugh that I've heard too many times. The laugh that makes my stomach turn.

I reached to grab his face digging my nails into the corner of his eyebrow, missing his eye, as he struggled to move away too. 

He let go off my throat as I gasped for air. 

That's when my eyes opened. I gasped for air with my hand at my throat trying to regulate my breathing. 

I started crying. I couldn't understand why this kept happening to me? When will I be able to forget? When Abdyl dies?

That's when I felt arms wrapped around me. Instantly, I knew it was Gio, by his scent. 

I continued to cry with my head in his chest. He patted my back lightly. "I got you Nora, don't worry." He said and I looked up at him. 

"Marry me."

His eyes widened at my words. 

"Marry me and make sure he never comes near me again." I repeated. 

"We'll talk about this once you're calmer." He said and I nodded. 

I looked around the room and saw I was on the couch in my room. I must have fell asleep. 

"You need to sleep." Gio said as he picked me up bridal style and placing me on my bed and he sat beside me. He looked down at me and placed my head on his lap patting my head lightly. 

"Thank you." I whispered. "You don't need to. I need to fulfil my soon-to-be husband duties" He said making me laugh lightly. 

"Can I ask you a question?" I decided to get to know him. 

"That was one." 

"Gio." I whined. "Ok ok ask."

"Why haven't you gotten married yet? I mean you're 27? 28?" I asked. 

"I know you must be confused why a handsome man such as myself hasn't got married yet. Well the answer is simple. Most the girls I've met are bitches." He replied bluntly. 

"But you're not Nora. That's why I decided to marry you."

"And for business." I added and his hand stopped patting my head. 

"Not really. More for your security." He said making me scoff. "I can take care of myself."

"I didn't say you can't. I just want to take care of you now." He said which silenced me. 

Why does he care? 

No one ever has, so why now?

We lay there in silence when I spoke again. "How were we all when we were younger?" I asked referring to Aria and Alonzo too. 

"You were a whiny bitch." He joked as he laughed. 

I sat up and slapped him arm lightly. "I bet you were moody then too." 

This made him laugh even more. His hand was on his lower stomach as he turned to his side laughing. 

His laugh was addictive so I couldn't help join in. 

Once we both composed ourselves he spoke again. "I'm joking. You and Aria were besties. You'd always bully Alonzo. You both tried to bully me too but it never really worked." 

I nodded. 

"You know I- we searched for you a lot when I became the Mafia Don." Gio said. "Why? Didn't you know I went to move in with my uncle?" I asked. 

"Nora, I don't think you know but- never mind." Gio stopped himself.

"Gio tell me." I said but he shook his head. 

"Gio, I won't speak to you anymore if you don't tell me." I tried to convince him but he shook his head again. 

"I won't marry you if you don't tell me Giovanni." I said and he sighed. 

"If I tell you, you won't back down from the marriage." He said and I thought for a second and nodded my head. 

I knew I would have to marry him. He's become a part of my life and I may not admit it but I do need him. He makes me feel safe even if we don't love each other.

"Pinkie promise" He said holding up his pinkie finger. I burst into laughter. "You're such a baby." I laughed. 

"No I'm not." He glared at me making me laugh even more. 

I quickly calm myself and linked my pinkie finger with him. "Pinkie promise Mr Husband."

"Now tell me." 

He sighed. "This will spoil your mood so I'm giving you a heads up right now." 

"Is it that serious?" I asked now afraid and he nodded. 

"Tell me then. Let's get this over with."

"Your father was killed my Aleksander."