12. 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒐𝒏𝒆𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒆𝒓𝒗𝒆 𝒊𝒕

SECRETS

2x02 𖦹𖦹𖦹 SHAPE SHIFTED

When Maddie got a text from Derek at two in the morning saying to meet him at a random address part of her thought it was a trap. The other part thought he might be in trouble. And that part won, of course.

But when she pulled up to what looked like the entrance of some abandoned train station on the edge of town she was starting to regret coming. Completely on edge, Maddie made her way down the stairs using a small flame to light her path.

"Derek?" she called out. She jumped when he stepped out of the shadows in front of her, red eyes glowing. "Jesus" she breathed out, her hand over her chest. "I'm seriously considering getting you a bell."

"You came," he said, leaning against the opening of one of the train cars. "Of course I came. Please don't tell me you've been staying here. It looks like the final location of a horror movie" she said, looking around.

Again, he chose to ignore what she was saying by getting to the point. "Remember when I told you I needed to build my pack?" he asked.

"Yeah?"

Maddie looked to her left as someone else came out of the shadows, this time a teenage boy she didn't recognize. Derek didn't even need to explain.

"You bit, another, random teenager? Am I here because he's dying too?" she asked, running a hand through her hair.

"Dying?!" the boy asked.

"He's not dying. The bite worked. His name's Isaac. Isaac this is-"

"Madelyn Martin. You used to date my brother" he said. Maddie looked at him confused. She hadn't dated anyone before Derek. Repeat hookups at best, one night stands at worst.

"Who's your brother?" she asked.

"Camden."

Of course. Camden Lahey. He went off to the army after she moved to New York. She heard from Tristan that he died a year later, in combat.

Maddie also specifically remembers Derek getting into a fight with him in the school parking lot.

"Did you know that when you bit him?" she asked, looking at Derek. "Yes. And no, I didn't do it because of that. I did it because of his dad" he told her.

"What's wrong with your dad?" she asked. "He, uh, was an asshole," Isaac said. Maddie nodded, not needing to know the specifics.