Chapter 4: Calling Shit Out

Grog and Jason stood in the training grounds as Groon took his stance. "Where do you find your strength?" Groon asks them. Jason kept his glare, "What do you mean?" Grog answers.

But with a shift of the cold wind and Groon slams his palm into Grog, taking him by surprise as he yelps out and flew back to the ground. "Grog!" Jason calls out.

But as he looks back a leg was slammed into his gut, taking him off guard and sending him flying back, smacking against the ground.

Both were coughing as they slowly pulled themselves up. "You walk between worlds. Weakness in mind and weakness in conviction/ where does your strength come from?" he asks again.

Grog and Jason groan as they held their stomachs "Fucker's fast." Jason mutters, wiping his mouth as he spits out saliva and both stood to their feet. "I wasn't ready. I'd like to see you try that again after I ra..." Grog starts.

But Groon takes him down in two strikes and sends him flying into the wall. Jason looks back as Grog coughs and lays limp "Rage." he said weakly.

Jason growls and looks back at Groon, who swung at him, but Jason dodges the attempts and swung his fist, but Groon blocks it. "Weak in faith. Weak in heart, your weakness has shattered your commitment and belief," he spoke.

Jason growls at him, pulling his arm back and swinging again, only to get hit in the gut with an open palm. He yelps out in pain and is sent flying back and crashes into the wall, dropping next to Grog. "Tell me, Jason Brassfoot. Where does your strength come from?" he asks again.

The two just groan in pain as they lay there for moments on end, it was going to be a long day.

~8~8~8~

The dust settles as Vox Machina groans from the landing, and the light above them shuts close, leaning them in pitch black. "Yeah, I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the sudden drops today," Scanlan spoke up.

Vex stood up and dust herself off, Percy stood to his feet, "I recall you saying you were friends with those people." he reminds the ranger as he dust himself off.

"I may have misjudged our relationship," she informs him, Kyria groans as she sat up. "I'm gonna say it, I don't like the Slayer's Take." she points out, dusting her shoulder off. "Look on the bright side," Vax calls out.

They looked at him as he helps Pike to her feet, "At least they can't murder us down here." he spoke. But a faint growling in the shadows drew their attention.

Everyone stood to their feet, pulling in close, "But whatever that is can." Keyleth points out. "Maybe they want to help?" Pike suggests. As they keep their eyes on the shadows around them.

Vax pulls his dagger out, inflaming it as it lights up the small area they stood close in. "Hello?" Percy calls out as they could make out what exactly was hidden in the shadows.

Vax kept his wits about him but saw something move in the shadow beyond the pillars. "Got this city blows," Scanlan mutters as Keyleth powers her crystal as she steps next to Vax and adds in more light.

They both looked and saw something shift through the shadows. Vax threw his dagger and it vanishes into the shadows. He held his hand out, but nothing happens.

"Don't those usually, you know, come back?"Keyleth asks as her staff became their only source of light. Kyria tries to conjure up flames, but nothing happens. "What, I can't summon fire?" she questions looking down at her hands.

"Weapons and magic are useless here." the voice calls out, they gasp, looking back at the glowing eyes that were staring right back at them. "You're scared. I wonder, how do you hope to avenge Emon, when darkness makes you tremble like children?" she questions, striding through the shadows.