Chapter 22: Right in the South End

Champion...

A warm voice calls out, Vax flutters his eyes open and looks at the void he found himself in, but the thin glows of threads seep from his chest as he sits up and looks out at the threads that form around him.

There were so few, but there was no beginning and no end, they just seemed endless.

Vax'ildan.

The voice calls to him again, he gasps and turns around to see her. The Matron of Raven.

The Goddess of Death.

The Raven Queen.

In all her glory the threads were connected to the forming a circle behind her that imminates a shine.

You've come at last.

Vax is in awe but remembers the reason for his coming and relaxes his shoulders, "My sister lives. That debt will be paid." he informs as he looks away from the Raven Queen.

Then he cast his eyes to his feet. "What do you want? My life? My soul? Or am I to be your puppet?" he questions. Looking up at her.

The Threads of Fate are not puppet strings.

They connect life to destiny.

You are fate-touched, about to see and bend the threads around you.

Understand the wholeness of what you serve, champion.

The connected threads glow as they catch Vax's attention, he offers his hand and it seeps into his hand as the threads ripple.

All the living share one experience:

He follows the threads, turning as he looks and sees all the shined shapes of the people he has met, had, and passed through his life.

Death.

Your mother, your sister, even you.

We must safeguard that beautiful moment when the soul transitions to a new purpose.

Vax looks at the threads that connect him to everyone dear to him as they pulse at his chest. "The souls I've been seeing, you want me to shepherd them?" he asks, looking up at the Raven Queen.

In a sense, yes.

Protecting the sanctity between life and death.

That is our cause.

Your cause.

Do you accept this charge?

Vax just looks up at her, pondering all that he has been told. But turns his head away, frowning. "What choice do I have?" he mutters then looks back at her. "I accept."

You're afraid of dying.

He frowns at her, "Of course, I am." he answers, but the threads at his chest, collect and reach out to her, and connects to her chest.

Don't be.

I've been watching you longer than you know.