32 ¦ Distance from you

Estela:

"Ohhh Estela. I didn't know you were coming to our meeting too." The deep, raspy voice of a guy I didn't know rang out and I caught sight of his ambiguous grin as he briefly eyed Jake, who was standing behind me.

"You're welcome, of course. Heeseung's not here, though, unfortunately. He left us hanging." The rather shorter guy leaned down toward me and teasingly raised an eyebrow.

"It's a good thing he's not here, too. Got enough dirt here as it is," I grumbled, then turned to the Spaniard as he had remained quite still until now. His expression seemed rather annoyed and quickly he forced a smile to his lips when he noticed me looking at him.

"So, guys. Why the meeting?" The Spaniard stood next to me and I felt the warmth radiating from his body. Inwardly, I felt a gentle urge to lean against him, but I then focused on what his teammates were saying.

"We are short of money. There will be sponsors present on Saturday and we could use them. So please make sure you don't fuck up, on and off the track." Jake exhaled loudly and held his forehead for a moment. "And that's why I had to come here now?"

"Yeah, I wanted to make sure everyone would hear that too, and I'm sorry if I interrupted anything." Mean-spiritedly, the guy looked at me and earned a warning look from the curly-headed guy. "You didn't interrupt anything. I'm just working in The Sim and he wanted to take me home," I defended us and everyone else seemed to be slowly saying goodbye to each other.

"Alright then. Are you coming tomorrow, Jake?" The Spaniard nodded fleetingly and I gave him a confused but imperceptible look. The others moved away from the race track and drove off one by one.

"I thought you didn't have time this week." "I didn't, but he would have just bugged me if I'd said I wasn't coming." There was silence for a moment and Jake gestured to go back to the parking lot, but I put a spoke in his wheel.

"What's the fastest lap you've ever done?", I asked as I ran onto the track and looked around me. I put my head back and closed my eyes, enjoying the light breeze. "28.11 seconds."

A black outline appeared in front of me and seconds later I recognized Jake's facade. "Is that good?" "Yeah, actually."

I turned away from him again and took several steps. "It's actually totally nice here." "It's dark," the black-haired man then stated, following me so he wouldn't lose me. "Exactly. Then you don't see the dirt and you just hear nature." "And you like that?" "Yes," I laughed contentedly, and was scared out of my wits when, turning on my part, my hand grazed someone.

"You don't have to hit me now, do you?" There was a definite amusement in Jake's voice and his aura framed me as he stood very close in front of me. "You don't have to sneak up on me like that, either." "It's dark. You can't judge me for that." I smacked his chest gently and grinned ruefully. He couldn't see it, but I thought that was better at the moment.

"You know, my car would have been a fucking way to get around, too." Jake appeared beside me reprovingly, and under a lamppost I halted in my steps. I really didn't want to go home because I would be alone there anyway and here at least I had the Spaniard with me.