I've Ruined It

Life returned to normal, and mundane tasks were now made that little bit better by catching glimpses of those rings. Leah and I had decided to postpone our honeymoon until Easter break, considering her return to Arsenal. It wasn't long until she was back playing full matches, searching for me in the crowd every time that final whistle blew. Of course, there were matches that didn't go the way she wanted, but everything had led to this moment: the Champions League final that had been scheduled earlier the last few years to manage game time.

It had been a season filled with ups and downs, a case of will they, won't they - but an FA Cup win and the league title had made the team close contenders to walk away with the trophy on a bright night in Spain.

As usual, the entire family—including the new dynamic of the Kellys added to that—travelled to support Leah and her team. Hours of delays had left us all exhausted, most of us cranky as we made our way to the stadium. The youngsters were fed up with the journey, the adults were fed up with the youngsters, and the dodgy restaurant we stopped at for food wasn't helping anyone to up their energy levels. Nonetheless, the second we entered the stadium, that typical sense of pride washed over us as we waited for Leah to appear for the warm-up.

Jacob was the first victim to the food, leaving before the warm-up was even over, making sure we all knew to tell Leah he was sorry. As the minutes until kickoff began to diminish, more members of our clan started to leave, each one with sorrow in their eyes. I watched on with Amanda, both of us well aware that Leah had clocked the empty seats either side of us and determined to make it to the end of the match.

Leah looked nervous during the line-up, her game face on, but her eyes told the story of the girl who thought luck couldn't possibly be on Arsenal's side again. She took up her position before taking a knee and roaring across the pitch with her words of motivation to her teammates.

"I'm going to be sick." Amanda chirped as she ran from the stands.

Bayern scored in the 17th minute, knocking the wind from Leah and her teammates and making my heart sink. Amanda and I were taking it in turns to leave the stands, aware that there was no way we could have Leah look up to see no one there for her. As the teams left the pitch for halftime, I sighed as I saw Leah's name pop up on my phone.

"She's noticed. I knew she would." I sighed.
"How do you know?"
"Look." I said, turning my phone to her.

Leah
Is something wrong? Why is everyone away?

Sophie
Dodgy food. You concentrate on your match. I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere. I love you x

Leah
But they're okay? I love you. Are you sick?

Sophie
No I'm good x

"What did you say?" Amanda asked.
"That I'm not sick. God, back in a second."
"Totally not sick." She chuckled at me.

The second half dragged until a last-minute goal by Arsenal changed the outlook. Extra time. 30 more minutes. Amanda left in the 103rd minute, unable to actually return to her seat from the bathroom. That just left me to cheer Leah on from the stands, making as much noise as I possibly could to fill in for the family members that had left. Every wave of nausea was swallowed back, desperate to stick to my word of being here as her biggest supporter.

"Fucking get in!" I shouted as Foord found the back of the net.

I should not have jumped so quickly. Don't think about it, Sophie.

By the time the final whistle blew, I was completely exhausted. Hours of travelling, trying to distract myself from the result of bad food, and the complete rollercoaster of emotions throughout the match had completely overwhelmed me. I stood proudly waiting on Leah, collecting her medal and lifting the trophy, willing her to come over to me so I could make my exit.