99

But his words inevitably wouldn’t get a response. On the wooden bed of golden silk with drawings of dragons and phoenixes, Ye Mu was still as thin as before, as if she would turn into dust at any time and disappear from the world.

And at night, Ye Mu actually dreamed!

In the dream, she felt someone kiss her. She still couldn’t see that person’s appearance, but she knew that person was her husband!

After Ye Mu woke up, she grabbed her head, feeling pain. She hadn’t found a way to go back, and she was her father’s only daughter. Abandoning her father to go back was impossible, but with her emotion, a heavy one, and couldn’t go back, what was she supposed to do?

As such, she sat on the bad half the night. The next day, Ye Zhende saw her weariness.

“What’s wrong? What happened?” Ye Zhende had something on his mind but didn’t dare say it. Right now, he was skeptical Ye Mu had encountered those matters.

“Nothing.” Ye Mu got up and poured water for Ye Zhende. “Dad, the superiors will send two people to come protect you, don’t think much of it.”

How could this not be thought about?! Ye Zhende was startled, and mutely said, “Mu-er, tell me honestly, did something happen?”

Ye Mu felt weird. “Dad, you’ve been acting strange. Could it be you feel something will happen?”

Seeing Ye Mu wasn’t willing to talk, Ye Zhende immediately said, “It’s not me, it’s you!”

“Me?”

Ye Zhende sighed. Might as well not hide the truth.

“Before you left, the army pressed you to stay in every possible way. I think it’s strange, there’s no reason for them not to give me this honor, and then your superior told me, said a criminal syndicate might be eyeing you.”

“What eyeing?” Ye Mu remembered that person’s words yesterday night and that phone call. “Do those people think I took their thing?”

Ye Zhende nodded. “Me and your superior believe you, we don’t think you’d take their thing, but those people seem to be looking for you, so that’s why they didn’t let you go before.”

Ye Mu frowned. “Dad, I know. Actually, someone came for me yesterday night, that’s why I applied for someone to protect you. In this period of time, you also shouldn’t casually wander about.”

Ye Zhende couldn’t help but ask, “Exactly what thing is it? I’ve asked, but Xiao Liu didn’t tell me.”

Ye Mu smiled. “Just some crazy people who want to stay alive, inventing a boring thing. It’s said it can stimulate someone’s genes and prolong a person’s life by at least fifty years.”

Ye Mu’s words made Ye Zhende’s expression suddenly grave. Until now, people had never stopped the research in the field of the human body’s genes, everyone wanted to live a long life. Once there was progress, it would definitely make everyone in the world deranged.

He solemnly asked, “Then, have you seen that thing?”

“Yup.” Ye Mu replied without care. She touched her own neck. “There was an old man who gave me an injection. I went for a check-up after that and nothing was wrong, so I’m guessing those are fake. It’s just some medical element, tools used to get money from wealthy people, but those people believed it.”