Side Story 1

On a certain day of a certain day and a certain month, a little boy wearing a golden robe frowned as he walked toward the imperial study.

In the end, the moment he pushed open the doors, he saw that unscrupulous father hugging his lovely mother, reading through a memorial.

Outrageous, this is simply outrageous! the little crown prince endlessly ridiculed in his heart. The emperor in the imperial study finally noticed him.

“Why are you back? Class is over?”

“Not yet,” the crown prince gloomily replied.

“So you’re skipping class?”

Seeing Mo Linyuan’s expression become displeased, Ye Mu quickly said, “Why are you pulling a long face? Maybe the child has a problem?”

With this said, she left Mo Linyuan’s embrace and walked to the little boy. She crouched and, smiling, pinched his face.

“Xiao Qi, tell mother, what happened?”

“Nothing!” the little boy gloomily replied because he had understood it on the way back as if it wasn’t a big deal, but seeing Ye Mu keep staring at him, he sheepishly said, “I used simplified characters* that mother taught me to write a poem. Master and the other students said, the characters mother taught me are wrong! I was so angry and explained it to them, but they were all saying like that. I got angry and came back first.”

*Chinese characters have two versions, simplified and traditional. The simplified one mostly has fewer strokes than the traditional. Simplified Chinese was only introduced in the 20th century, it’s still unknown in ancient times.

Mo Linyuan frowned. “Why did you use simplified characters, were you lazy?”

Hearing Mo Linyuan’s stern tone, Ye Mu glared at him. Glared by his own wife, even if Mo Linyuan was still displeased, he couldn’t say it.

He warned his son with his eyes, and then lowered his head and continued writing the report. Ye Mu on the other hand smiled at him.

“It’s fine, it’s not a big deal, but because the simplified characters are characters that aren’t popularized yet, no one knows it, so of course they said you’re wrong. But, how will you solve this matter?”

The little crown prince furrowed his brows, and in a low voice said, “Is it because it’s not practiced yet? But I think the simplified characters is convenient. Not only is it easier to write, but it’s also easier to memorize. If it can gain popularity, these characters can benefit the people who have never read or are about to learn to read.”

Ye Mu saw her own child could already think of such matters at such a small age. She also didn’t hit him and only said, “Then how will you popularize it? Tell me, mother will support you.”

Mo Linyuan on the side humphed quietly. Such a big child and still needed his mother’s support, indeed too weak!

The crown prince had wanted to ask his mother for help, but after hearing that humph, he puffed up his chest. “Mother, don’t worry about this, I already have a solution, I know what to do!”

Ye Mu was quite surprised. Her son was only ten years old and he could think of a good plan already?

She smiled. “Mother is all ears.”