Chapter 2

Matt Murdock had been taking some time to relax before the night's excursion when he heard sounds of distress from a few blocks away.

Donning his suit, he stands on his rooftop and listens carefully.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

A woman's voice.

A scream.

He begins sprinting to the source of the voices.

He kept tuning into the conversation to navigate to a rundown warehouse.

"Don't try to lie to us. We know everything about your son."

"Him and his friends don't have too long to hide. The King will make sure of it."

For a second, Matt wondered if the Kingpin had risen again. But then he heard the voice of the woman again, and this time he recognised her.

"For the hundredth time. I'm not aware of anything you're asking me." Sally Jackson was saying, her voice strong and unyielding.

Matt sensed a had curling to aim a punch, but he had managed to close the distance by then.

There were ten men armed with stun batons and guns. Basic tactical gear from what he could sense. He had taken stock of the whole situation, and the men seemed young and untrained, with almost no prior experience in combat. They fell like dominoes with his well aimed kicks and punches.

One of them put a gun to Sally's head to try to stop him, but Sally tipped the chair she was tied to and Matt took that second to take the man down.

The fight only lasted minutes. He untied Sally and helped her up.

"Are you hurt, Sally?" He asked. He couldn't sense any injury on her. But he's sure he had heard screams from here.

"They didn't hurt me. They were ordered not to probably, by whoever sent them." Sally had stood up straight, with surprising confidence and composure. "I managed to bite and kick a couple of them though."

Matt wasn't surprised. Nobody in their right minds messed with Sally Jackson.

"Thank you, Matthew."

Matt spluttered.

"I had my doubts in the beginning. You looked familiar, and not just from the news. Then you said my name, and I recognised your voice. I took a gamble. I'm hoping I'm right."

She knew very well that she was right. He could hear her smile, and he couldn't fight a matching one off his face.

They walked out of the building. Sally's phone was taken, so they decided to search for a public telephone booth. Sally insisted that she could get home, but Matt wasn't going to leave her alone in Hell's Kitchen. They reached a concensus soon enough. They would walk in hidden alleyways until the nearest phone booth, then Sally would make a call home and stay some time with Matt until they come to get her. Matt wouldn't have it any other way.

They were now standing in a back alley which was almost devoid of people. Matt knew they couldn't stay in that place too long.

Matt cursed his luck as he suddenly sensed a pair of footsteps running in their direction. It wouldn't have been cause for much alarm, but they seemed to have appeared out of thin air, and things had been strange enough for one evening.

-

Percy was having a terrible two days.

The previous day, a rather scandalous incident had occurred at college when a couple of students were caught selling pictures of his around the campus. It had been extremely embarrassing for him, especially when the students told on fellow professors who had bought pictures from them. The pictures weren't even good. Just stills of him from in between lectures and standing in the hallways.