Chapter One: Alone Time With King

Authors' Note

I was unable to complete the main story etc. in Tolerance Book II regarding King as on Chapter Ninety-Six the app kept crashing and losing everything I typed 😱😬.  Apparently other Writers are also experiencing such problems around the Chapter One Hundred mark.  Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon but as I cannot wait for that to happen I have started Tolerance Book III and sincerely hope that will bypass the issue and let me finish the story.   If not I just might take up drinking 🤷‍♀️🤣.

Needless to say reading Tolerance Book I and Tolerance Book II is essential to follow the storyline in Book III.               

I sincerely hope Readers won't be put off by the necessity of starting another Book.  I had not foreseen that happening 🤷‍♀️.

                                       --------------------------------------------                                                          
Jay had done his research before choosing Capilano Suspension Bridge Park as the location to lure their elusive quarry to him.  The public setting appeased his friends and colleagues.  The park however also housed numerous areas that provided privacy but he had purposely not emphasised that fact although the information was easily obtainable.  Construction of the suspension bridge which gave the expansive 27 acre park its' name began in 1889.  The bridge towered 270 foot above the Capilano River and spanned across an imposing 30 feet.  Those who ventured over the shaky bridge were greeted on the other side by a canopy of dense, mature trees some of which dated back over fifteen hundred years.   The main bridge was naturally the biggest Tourist draw but there were six other bridges in addition to a bear Sanctuary and hiking trails and other attractions which enticed Visitors to spend hours there.   The only way to access the hiking  trails was to traverse the main bridge but that was also a calculated moved on Jays' part.  Another ploy to further unsettle his companion.  Parker had agreed that using apparently simple things to rattle the Killer could prove beneficial but had seriously cautioned the younger man against overplaying the tactic.  He had to push the deranged man but only to a certain point.  Too much pressure meant King was likely to react with deadly consequences, irrespective of access to weapons.  Striking a balance was going to be tricky but Jay knew there was no alternative. He had to make this work.  The alternative was too dire to contemplate.

"Well what do you think?" the Detective finally spoke as he came to a stop ten feet from the bridge as Tourists passed the pair by eager to make the crossing.
"About?" King asked with a raised eyebrow.
"The bridge.  Is it too high for you?"
"Course not!" the Killer scoffed at the notion but his companion saw the furtive glances to the river far below.
"Good.  Just be prepared it's quite shaky and other people on the bridge might purposefully try to make it shake more."
"You're not talking to a kid," King declared indignantly as he pulled himself up straighter, "why exactly are we going over there?"
"Well I'm hoping to see some ancient trees," Jay replied nonplussed with a casual shoulder shrug, "as for you only you can answer that."
"What if I stay here?"
"No one invited you anyway," Jay reminded and began walking away without a backward glance.
"Dammit!" King cursed vehemently as he found himself in a rare situation where he didn't know what to do.

Walking towards the bridge it took all of Jays' resolve not to turn around and check on his adversaries' whereabouts.  He knew keeping the man unsettled only aided his ultimate goal so without breaking his pace stepped onto the bridge making a point of looking over the right side rather than the left, a further sign he was uninterested in the Killers' decision to follow or not.  As the hairs on the back of his neck informed him  couple of minutes later the man had taken the bait.  Now it was time to reel him in.
He turned from his perusal of the shallow waters so far down and released his hold on the wooden railing to venture into the centre of the always moving bridge.  As he did so the familiar voice spoke behind him.