Chapter Six: Negotiating With A Killer

Diner

"You ready to turn yourself in?"
"You ready to get serious?!" King scoffed as he continued to peruse the extensive menu in his hand.
"Never been more serious," Jay eyed his own menu, playing along, food was the least of his concerns but he would mimick his companions' casual attitude.
"What are you having?"
"A cheese omelette."
"Not very adventurous," King shook his head in disdain before taunting, "you don't like taking risks do you?"
"Where food is concerned? No," the Chicago man shrugged.
"What makes you think I'd turn myself in?"
"You know to continue is pointless."
"You don't even know why I did it," a hint of fury had leaked into the mans' tone although it was obvious he was working hard to appear relaxed and unconcerned.
"Care to enlighten me?" Jay put his menu down and leant back in the seat giving the man his full attention.
"You wouldn't understand."
"Maybe, maybe not."
"Wilkes cost me a fortune," King admitted as he dispensed with his own menu, "I had big plans.  He robbed me of fulfilling them."
"And?"
"And what?"
"What drove you to New York?" Jay prodded referring to the start of the mans' crime spree.
"I didn't drive there I flew," King replied with a wicked glint in his eye.
"You know what I mean," the Detective wasn't about to let the Killer derail his chance of a proper conversation, it had been a long time in coming.
"Why not New York?" King eventually tossed back dismissively.
"Just curious is all," Jay conceded honestly, "your Victims weren't personal so why take your frustrations out on innocent people?"
"Careful Detective.   You sound as if you're advocating for going after Wilkes."
"That at least would have made sense, mind you not morally."
"I wanted to make a mark in a way that would never be forgotten."
"You could have done plenty of things to make a mark that didn't involve murder," Jay countered before changing the topic slightly, "what 'big plans' did you have for your fortune?"
"Doesn't matter."
"Can't have been great then."
"You have no idea!"
"That's why I asked."
"I was going to set up a business with my brother."
"What kind of business?"
"Import/export."
"If that isn't the vaguest response to such a question I don't know what is," Jay shook his head in exasperation.

Sitting in the booth as he tried to inveigle a way for his adversary to give up Jay was aware of the seriousness of the situation.   In choosing yet another public setting he had risked further civilian casualties yet his choice had been made on foot of two reasons.  Firstly he wanted to let King know he was not afraid of the mans' actions and secondly the diner was conveniently located two blocks away from the RCMP Bureau.   He had managed to ensure the safety of the Hikers but looking around the busy eatery he knew he had merely found other possible Victims to take their place in Kings' scheming.   It was a risk he had reluctantly taken.   The Killer hadn't put up any argument about the diner, he merely raised an eyebrow at the selection and the Detective had wondered if he was regarding the venue as a place ripe for his murderous leanings.   The stone cold Killer was aware of the close vicinity to the bureau of that Jay had no doubt so his capitulation gave him some scope for optimism.   Whatever the man might be plotting behind his guise of a casual Diner the former ex-Ranger was on full alert.  Jay was no fool.  He had also picked a public setting as he knew Voight and the others would expect him to seek out a less busy location once away from Capilano and when they realized he had left the Tourist draw they would check less inhabited areas.   He needed time to accomplish what all the months' of hard work had been leading up to, stopping King once and for all.

                                   ------------------------------------------------

RCMP Bureau

To say Voight was raging would be a gross understatement. After arriving back from Capilano empty handed after completing a thorough search and conducting rigorous interviews it had become clear their youngest had taken leave of the confines of the designated hoped for rendezvous.   Now in the corner office he had been assigned he paced in front of a silent Al.