Chapter Twenty-Three: Time Off

Flanagans' Irish Pub

Al looked across the table at his companion and grimaced in response to what he had just learned.  That his old friend was actually contemplating letting Halstead go to New York surprised the Detective.  He gave a heavy sigh as he realized the Sergeant must feel he had no choice in the matter.

"You really okay with this?"
"Hell no!" Voight raised his voice drawing attention from several patrons to their corner of the quiet bar.
"So why are you agreeing to it?"
"It's not like I'll have a choice," the gruff man noted in obvious displeasure, "as soon as Murphy and Parker put the proposal to Halstead he's going to want to help and ....,"
"... once the Kid thinks peoples' lives are at stake he's going to be all in," the moustached man quietly assessed in conclusion, now his friends' predicament and their private discussion became clear.
"We have a few weeks at least before the King investigation is downgraded .....,"
"If nothing else comes up."
"Yeah," Voight nodded, he really hoped there were no further twisted games in store from the Serial Killer.
"You said the only connection between all the Victims is they were from Chicago and had moved to New York a short time before being killed."
"Right."
"How can we get the Unit on the case then?" Al asked seriously.
"I've been considering a number of options."
"Such as?"
"We form a Joint Task Force ...,"
"Seems unlikely besides how come Homeland Security is dealing with the case and not the FBI?"
"I didn't tell you how the Victims were killed," Voights' grim features betrayed the gravity of the crimes, "they were all killed by explosives and ....,"
"That should put the case under the remit of the ATFE then presumably," Al referred to the Alcohol Tobacco and Firearm agency which had become the Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearm and Explosives Agency after 9/11.
"Normally it would but bomb threats have been made against a number of high profile people across the country."
"And they're sure it's the UnSub?"
"Yes, he made it quite clear he was responsible for the killings ....,"
"As a show of how serious he is," Al figured.
"It would appear so."
"Damn."
"Exactly."
"When do we tell Halstead?"
"Hate keeping things from him but he needs to unwind, as much as he can anyway, so for now we keep it to ourselves."
"I don't like it," Al frowned, keeping the younger man in the dark might be misconstrued.
"I don't either," the Sergeant muttered in agreement, in fact he hated the new development which was going to place his young Detective under more duress.

For his part Al ruminated on how his companion, who rarely sought advice, had chosen yet again to have a sounding board to air his concerns about Jay.  Again it wasn't lost on the seasoned Detective that Voight had develop a fatherly interest in his friend.  Wisely the moustached man did not give voice to that observation.  The Sergeant was definitively not one to openly display his softer side but it was clear the Kid had engendered strong feelings.  Sure Voight had Justin and loved his son but that didn't stop him from caring for the young man in question in a paternal way and Al was glad because he sensed there was more turbulence on the horizon.

                                             ---------------------------------

Chicago Med

Two weeks later Jay met Will outside the ER.  The pair had made arrangements to take in a Blackhawks game with Kelly and Casey.  The redhead was relieved to see his sibling looking slightly less pale than he had been.  The fortnight off work Voight had given his brother had clearly helped.  Will had been surprised at how easily Jay had accepted the enforced vacation days but Conor had pointed out it signified just how exhausted he really was.  The King investigation had taken its' toll on all the Unit members but the auburn haired man had borne the brunt physically and mentally, not that he would ever admit it.  Now after two weeks away from the precinct it seemed Jay was finally beginning to unwind and Will struggled to contain his relief knowing it would not be welcomed if he commented in it.  Steering the conversation towards safer ground as they waited for the two Firefighters Will grinned mischievously.