Chapter Twenty-Eight: Mending Bridges

Homeland Security Headquarters New York

The following morning Voight led his men through the sprawling desk cluttered open plan office and finally came to a stop when he reached Murphy who had been watching their approach with curiosity from the entrance to his office. The AD held out a hand in greeting and was relieved when it was accepted without preamble. He hadn't been too sure of the response he might receive given the Sergeants' doubts about joining the investigation.

"Glad you made it," the New Yorker eyed the Unit Members and nodded to each noting one glaring absence.
"He's resting," Voight answered the unspoken question in a tone that brooked no argument, Jay needed a proper sleep before immersing himself in the case.
"Is he okay?"
"You care?" Adam challenged still smarting from the unexpected turn of events.
"Of course," Murphy stated with a sigh, he was clearly going to have to mend bridges with the Chicago men.
"He shouldn't be working this investigation," Antonio decided to add his voice of disapproval to the conversation.
"Hey Guys," Parker greeted as he walked over then turned to the Assistant Director, "you going to brief them now or .....,"
"No time like the present. Jay won't be available for a while."
"Is he okay?" the Psychologist enquired in genuine concern, he had hated having to drag the young Detective into the case but really felt they had no choice once the Director got involved.
"He's getting some much needed rest ," Voight offered evenly, he was unwilling to cut the two men slack for the time being.

Al had watched the interaction between the men and was relieved it hadn't descended into an argument. For the time being it seemed peace would reign. He couldn't help but wonder however how long same would last once the investigation heated up and Jay took an active role in tracking down the UnSub.

Diner Downtown

Jay sat at the back of the busy diner watching people go by outside the window distractedly. He was supposed to be having a lie-in, as per Voights' no nonsense direction the night before, but after staying in bed for an hour after his friends left the young man had decided a change of scenery was in order. Hence he had left the central hotel they were staying in and entered the first eatery he had come across in search of breakfast. Not that he was really hungry but he knew his body needed fuel to keep going and the days ahead would undoubtedly require his stamina to be tested. As he waited for his cheese omelette and French toast to arrive the auburn haired man reflected on the conversation with his Sergeant the night before. The older man had made it quite clear that although his presence was an integral reason for the Unit being seconded to the Joint Task Force he was not going to let his Subordinate be run ragged. Voight had in fact stated quite adamantly that if at any time Jay felt things were getting too much for him he would ensure the Unit was relieved from the investigation. Jay doubted Voight actually had the power to do that but had wisely chosen not to voice said doubt knowing it would not serve any purpose. The gruff Sergeant was obviously intent on doing his best for Jay and the Detective appreciated that. He knew however the powers that be would not be as concerned about him. With bodies piling up they wanted results and in all honesty he couldn't blame them. Serial killings were bad not only for the Victims and their families but for the city. Tourism was a multi-million dollar business in the Big Apple and there would be pressure from many quarters to resolve the case as soon as possible.

Another topic that had been broached the previous night was Adam staying behind with Jay while the others attended the HS Headquarters for a preliminary briefing. Although Jay had reluctantly agreed to stay behind he had quietly but firmly declined his friends' company. Voight had tried his best but in the end realized the young Detective was not going to give in and making him feel like he needed a Babysitter would not engender good results. Jay had been relieved to win that argument! Now as the Waiter approached with his order he thought about what he would do for the remainder of the morning. His curiosity about the case was urging him to catch up with his friends but he simply wasn't in the mood for company just yet. He'd make a decision after his breakfast ....