Chapter Forty: Evasive Progress

Three days later found the Unit gathered at a picnic bench in Central Park.  The decision to have lunch al fresco had been Parkers.  He had taken Voight aside and made the suggestion as a way to get Jay away from work, if only for a brief respite, since the young Detective had been skipping breaks and meals the last couple of days.  It wasn't only Jay feeling the pressure but everyone acknowledged he bore the brunt of it thanks to Thompsons' tactless propensity to speak without proper care.  The day before, in a fit of anger at the apparent lack of progress in the investigation, the Director had descended to their offices and bluntly laid the blame for said lack of results on the green eyed Detectives' shoulders.  Murphy for once had been gobsmacked by his Superiors' actions.  So much so that he had initially been caught off guard and stunned into silence by the unannounced visit.  Unfortunately that silence had given the irate man time to deliver his harsh words of rebuke.  The fact that Voight was out of the building at the time with Al had   been a blessing and a curse in equal measure.  Voights' defense of his Detective would have been instantaneous which would have been a blessing but no doubt his words would have resulted in a serious confrontation with the arrogant man which would have been a curse.   As it was by the time Murphy had overcome his initial shock and attempted to defend the auburn haired man the damning words had already been aired and the damage done.  The Assistant Director had apologised profusely to Jay for his delay but the younger man had shrugged off his apology with a wan smile and an assurance that it was not his fault Thompson was on the war path.  Voight however had not been so understanding upon learning of the incident on his return.  He had made sure Murphy was aware of his feelings on the subject and after a tense ten minute discussion the Sergeant had stormed out of the Assistant Directors' office glaring at everyone who deigned to glance his way.  Murphy had remained in his office a long time afterwards.  The Assistant Director had made no effort to defend himself as the Sergeant railed about the incident.  He knew although Thompson had been the instigator he himself had, albeit unintentionally, aided the man by his silence.  Parker upon learning of the visit from above had consoled his distressed old friend.  Murphy was not one to let others be attacked and the Psychologist reminded him that as soon as his surprise had worn off he had stood up to Thompson.  Murphy was not willing to be forgiven so easily however.  He had let the young Chicagoan down and promised himself he would make up for it, somehow.

Voight had immediately sought out Jay after confronting Murphy.  The older man had not been surprised to find his youngest Detective in the small office going over files as if nothing untoward had happened. 

"Thompson has no right to blame you for anything," Voight stated without preamble as he entered with Al on his heels and closed the door.
"He's looking for results."
"Aren't we all?" Al noted sardonically as he leant back against the door and folded his arms, "Atwater filled us in on your theory about the latest bomb."
"Just a possibility," Jay shrugged, "there are a number of differences from the other murders."
"But wouldn't it be too coincidental that Ms. Brooks had a wine collection?" Voight asked.
"Maybe."
"You think we have a Copycat?"
"It's something we have to consider," Jay pointed out, they had to be open minded.
"As if one Bomber wasn't bad enough!" Voight grumbled.
"It might not be a Copycat but someone hoping to link the murder to the others to avoid detection," Jay suggested something that had occurred to him.
"The difference?" Al queried.
"A true Copycat is in it for the actual killing," the younger man stated then elaborated, "this could be more of a case of an opportune killing ....,"
"As in someone wanted Ms. Brooks out of the way and the bombings gave them an opportunity?"
"Yeah."
"Not sure which is better," Voight sighed, "a Copycat or someone cold enough to blow the lady up so it fits a pattern."
"Don't think either is palatable," Al pointed out ruefully, sometimes there were just no good scenarios in their work.

By the evening it had been decided that the Brooks' murder was not in fact connected to the previous crimes.  That begged the question who stood to profit from her death.   Her Nephew, the refined Harvey Rankin, was automatically placed at the top of the list of possible suspects but before any lines of enquiry could be delineated the Director had once again made his powerful presence felt.  Upon being briefed that the latest Victim did not fall into the same category as the previous Victims and that she was not believed to have died at the hands of the same Killer the man had ordered the investigation team to pass the file on the matter onto another team.  He had made it quite clear they were to concentrate solely on the Serial Killer and his Victims, not random killings.  Voight and Murphy, their earlier heated discussion now forgotten, had decided jointly that Thompson was not to be made aware yet that Henry Billings was their prime suspect.  No one wanted to jump the gun before they had solid evidence to present to the Director.  To that end everyone was working trying to source any leads or information that would progress the investigation.