Chapter Seven: End Game Approaching

RCMP Bureau

Standing at the back of the slowly emptying Conference Room Adam and Mouse quietly discussed the lack of any credible leads. To all intents and purposes Jay had vanished.  They knew however  everyone and everything left a trace behind. 

"I should have put a tracking device on his clothes!" the IT Specialist lamented quietly in frustration.
"He'd never have gone for it."
"I could have done it unbeknownst to him."
"Yeah right!" Adam scoffed at that notion, his best friend would definitely have found a device no matter how miniscule it had been.
"So what are we supposed to do now? Sit around waiting?"
"You heard the briefing," Adam reminded as he eyed Voight and Murphy talking to the Canadian Officers at the top of the room, "we keep digging."
"He'll show up," Kevin walked over to the pair with Parker and Antonio in tow.
"Yeah," Adam agreed before continuing ominously, "but in what state?"
"We all know playing the 'what if' game doesn't lead to anywhere good," Antonio pointed out evenly, he was as concerned as everyone else but knew it was a waste of energy imagining various dire scenarios for their missing friend.
"We have nothing to go on," Adam grumbled.
"So you want to give up?" a new voice enquired.
"I didn't say that Al!" Adam hastily defended.
"Sure sounded like you did," the older Detective knowingly pointed out, "so we've hit a brick wall.  Not the first time and definitely not the last time.  What matters now is sticking to what we're good at,  following what leads we have ....,"
"We don't have any!" Adam protested, hadn't the man been paying attention?
"We don't have obvious ones but the're waiting to be found."

Al understood all too well how easily one could allow being disheartened to overshadow ones' perspective.  Law enforcement work often embodied such tumultuous situations that it was difficult at times not to be consumed by depression as a result of dealing with the dark side of life up close and personal.  It was then when colleagues and friends came into play, helping whoever was struggling at any given time.

Downtown Vancouver

Jay had spent the entire meal gently nudging his adversary in the right direction and the more time passed the more he became convinced the Killer had indeed come to the decision to call it quits.  After consuming the food without tasting it the Detective had abruptly risen and headed for the door after leaving some notes on the table.  His sudden departure left his companion with little choice but to follow if he wanted to stay with him.  Once out on the busy sidewalk Jay began strolling through the throngs of people without a backward glance.  His gait didn't falter once as he was confident King was following.  A muttered curse beside him announced the mans' presence and a firm grip on his arm halted him in his tracks.  Looking down at the intrusive hand he raised an eyebrow and shrugged off the grip motioning King towards the entrance to an alley where he stopped.

"What is it?" Jay asked innocently, knowing full well the man was trying to figure out his intent.
"Where are you going?"
"Back to work."
"But ........,"
"You don't have to come with me.  In fact I'd be surprised if you did," the Detective shrugged, giving an impression the mans' presence or lack thereof was of little concern to him.
"I know I don't have to!" King insisted adamantly, annoyance lacing his words.
"So are you coming or not?" Jay enquired as he began walking again, inwardly surprised that his risky gambit seemed to be paying off.
"Yes," King responded succinctly with a flicker of despondency flashing across his features before his face became unreadable as he kept pace with the Detective, "you expected me to turn myself in didn't you?"
"You're an intelligent man," Jay noted, "figured  you would want to set the record straight."
"As if people would understand!"
"They definitely won't understand if you don't give your side."
"Don't insult my intelligence," King instructed sternly, "no one will understand no matter what I say."
"Did your brother?"
"Of course," the Killer automatically replied but the Detective felt he was not so sure of the answer.
"Can't have been easy losing him so young," Jay commented as they eventually reached the last block which housed the RCMP RCMP Bureau.
"He didn't derseve to die," the twin stated firmly.
"No he didn't," Jay readily agreed before adding, "and neither did all those people you murdered."