Chapter Thirty-Four: Precautionary Measures

Voight was fuming as he strode back towards the offices with Murphy at his side.  The impromptu meeting with the arrogant Director had not gone well.  The man had unrealistic expectations and most related to his youngest Detective.  It still worried the Sergeant that he was not sure about Thompsons' motives.  The man might simply be the egotistical, glory seeking person he appeared to be on the surface or there may be a more sinister purpose behind his actions and the Chicago native needed to know which he was dealing with. 

"Thompson isn't going to back down," the Assistant Director observed unhappily as the pair entered the open plan area and headed for his office.
"That's obvious."
"So what do we do?"
"He's your boss," Voight tossed back as they walked into the office and he closed the door to give them some privacy before sitting down.
"Don't remind me," Murphy grimaced as he walked around his desk and plopped down on his chair.
"We don't have enough resources to follow every lead that's coming in yet he expects Halstead to miraculously find the UnSub."
"Thompsons' ambition tends to blind him to the practicalities of running an investigation.  He just wants results."
"So do I but they can't be conjured up!" Voight groused.
"No need to tell me," Murphy noted without rancour then continued, "you going to talk to Halstead about this morning?"
"Yeah.  Something got him spooked."
"I agree but what?"
"Only one way to find out," Voight got to his feet and headed for the door, "I'll let you know how I get on."
"May the force be with you."

Voight glared at the Assistant Director but a glint of humour glinmered in his eyes.  He appreciated the mans' attempt to lighten the atmosphere.

                                                  -------------------------------------

Jay had spent nearly an hour discussing his current predicament with Parker who had listened and offered what advice he could. Although he did profiling work it was not his main job and that meant he did not feel equipped to comment on the other mans' hunch.  Apart from stating he had never developed such a feeling while interviewing someone he did however offer his support for his companions' power of insight.  Jays' counterpoint to same had been that he had nothing upon which to base his belief.  After Parker had departed to attend a Psychology Conference he was chairing in a nearby hotel the Detective had sought refuge in the temporary office next to Murphys.  He had heard the Assistant Director and Voight return so knew it was only  a matter of time before the Sergeant sought him out and looked for answers.  The  door opening  told him the time had come.  Voight strode in purposefully and eyed his subordinate intently.

"You ready to share?"
"Sarge," Jay refrained from rolling his eyes, the question wasn't really a question, he was not being given a choice, "before I tell you what got me so ..... antsy ...... at Billings' place I want you to promise me something."
"What?" the older man wasn't used to provisos being issued to him, he tended to be the one giving them.
"You won't get in an argument with the Director over it."
"Okay."
"Just like that?" Jay couldn't conceal his scepticism at the easy capitulation.
"Kid I know you have your reasons," Voight acknowledged with a sigh as he walked over and took a seat across from the younger man softly directing, "so tell me what's going on."
"I can't provide any proof ....," Jay hesitated, "but I think Billings is the guy we're after."
"The UnSub?" the Sergeants' voice was devoid of shock, he'd been on the job too long to be surprised by any development in a case.
"Yeah."
"Okay.  So what convinced you?"
"There was a look in his eyes which couldn't be misread. It was only a fleeting glimpse but it was enough," Jay looked at his Superior, deep down he had known the older man would trust his instincts.
"But we have no proof," the Sergeant addressed their main problem.
"No," the Detective shrugged apologetically, "it's just a feeling.  I can't put a finger on it but ....... he set off alarm bells."
"So we dig deeper."
"What about the Director?"
"No need for him to know we're mainly interested in Billings," Voight elaborated after contemplating the matter, "to all intents and purposes we'll focus on Billings and the other four Officials we identified as primary blackmail targets.  Thompson won't query that."
"Sarge we need to deep dive into all their backgrounds," Jay insisted, "I could be way off."
"Do you think you are?" Voight queried insightfully.
"No," the younger man admitted wearily as he rubbed a hand tiredly down his face, he had a feeling Billings was going to show his hand soon but decided not to air that likelihood.
"So any ideas where to focus?"
"There has to be a reason the Victims are all from Chicago.  Maybe Billings has ties there."
"I'll get Mouse on it," Voight nodded then added solemnly, "this isn't a race.  We're going to do this by the book no matter what Thompson wants.  You're not in this alone Kid.  Whatever happens  we'll deal with it together."
"What if it is Billings and the Director doesn't want to accept it?" Jay ventured to voice his main fear.
"If it is Billings we nail him and Thompson won't be able to do anything about it," Voight mused, "but we do this carefully.  No point exposing our hand until we have concrete evidence that can't be refuted."
"Won't it be obvious where our resources are going?"
"Luckily for us Murphy said Thompson isn't hands on but like I said we do thorough checks on Billings and the other four. That will buy us some time to gather enough intel to catch the guy."
"Sarge about Murphy ...,"
"What about him?"
"Do you have to tell him about my ... hunch?"
"Don't you trust him?" the Sergeant raised a brow.
"Yes I do," the auburn haired man quickly insisted, "but if there's any fallout it might be easier for him if he doesn't know we're considering Billings for the UnSub.  That way he has deniability if everything hits the fan."
"You know Kid you seem to be thinking of everyone but yourself, as usual, but Murphy's a big boy and he can handle Thompson."
"You sure?"
"Positive," the older man assured, he knew if the Assistant Director did get into real difficulties with his Superior he would have the Unit at his back to ensure he didn't take the fall.