Chapter Twenty-Five: Weary

Ten year old Jay watched his father pace angrily in front of him in the small confines of the cluttered shed as the heat of the summer day leaked in through the old wooden slats.  Sweat poured down his face but he ignored it, squashing the urge to wipe it away.  Any movement on his part would only anger the big man further.  It never ceased to amaze him the capacity for fury his father had.  Jay just couldn't understand where such rage emanated from but he tended not to dwell on such unanswerable mysteries since it didn't change anything.  Yet again he was being berated for some imagined wrongdoing and yet again he was going to have to get through whatever punishment was doled out.   He had long since given up feeling sorry for himself since that, also, didn't change anything.  He took solace in the fact Will was away for a few days with his friends' family.  Whatever injuries he was left with after todays' encounter would hopefully be easier to conceal by the time he returned.  Another source of relief was his mothers' hospital stay.  She would not be around to query why he was moving stiffly.  He focused on those two things as the pacing finally stopped .......

In the living area Will checked his watch.  His brother had been in the shower for twenty minutes.  It was unlike him to waste water or to hide away to avoid a conversation.  That caused the redhead to frown.  He was debating checking on the younger man when he heard the water stopping.  

In the bathroom Jay stepped out of the shower still consumed by that summer day that Will had unexpectedly brought back to life.  One reference to taking chances was all it had taken and that rattled the auburn haired man.  He needed to stay in control and not be at the mercy of random memories which threatened to incapacitate him with their very intensity.  Towelling himself dry he opened the door and headed to his bedroom without acknowledging his brother, his mind still lingered in its' recesses where painful memories bad been consigned to.  Even as he quickly donned fresh clothes he decided he was going to broach a painful topic with his brother.  The mention of taking chances had been made innocently but its' connotations for Jay were significant. 

21st Precinct

Voight stood at the counter in the small canteen fixing a mug of coffee, his third of the day.  He was aware he was under scrutiny from the only other person present.  Turning he eyed Al sternly.

"There's nothing I can do."
"How the hell did things get fast tracked?" the Detective demanded, trying to reign in his anger at the situation.
"Another two bodies were found," the Sergeant offered the explanation Crowley had given him, "again both Victims were from Chicago."
"Why the hell is he killing them in New York then.  Couldn't he just do the killings here?"
"You can ask him when we catch him," Voight deadpanned as he glared at his old friend, "the Joint Task Force is already being set up.  The Unit is now part of it."
"How come Crowley is on board?  Thought she'd fight tooth and nail."
"Maybe she figures it's better to have the crimes stay in New York."
"One way to look at it," Al shrugged then checked, "and you mean the whole Unit?"
"Yes, that's probably the only good thing about this.  I thought I was going to have to fight to get Halstead and a couple of us to go."
"I have to bring it up Hank.  I really think the Kid needs some time to get his balance back after everything that's happened.  Rushing headlong into another Serial Killer investigation isn't what Halstead needs."
"You think I don't know that?" Voight asked unhappily.

He had serious misgivings about the whole thing but as he had informed his friend there was no way out of the assignment short of citing concerns for their youngest Detective and that definitely would not go down well.

Jays' Apartment

After retrieving two cold beers from the refrigerator and offering one to his frowning sibling Jay sank down on his favourite armchair trying to figure out how to start the conversation he needed to have.   The unexpected memory had conjured up old feelings that had never been resolved.  He bravely decided now was the time to deal with same but struggled to find the words.