Chapter Four: Engaging A Killer

RCMP Bureau

Jackson Murray was calling himself every kind of idiot under the sun as he sat in the reception area of the local Police office.   He was second guessing his decision.  He was figuring he'd get scolded for wasting valuable Police time when he nervously recounted his tense encounter with the two Americans at Capilano but ultimately had  been willing to risk any lecture in favour of assuaging his conscience.  His gut was telling him all had not been well with the strangers.  Whatever he had anticipated would have been the reaction to his report had not materialised and instead he had been taken seriously and asked to wait for someone to come down for him.  That alone helped ease his worry, he had been right in his concern apparently.  That relieved thought however was immediately tempered with the worry about Jay.  He felt bad about walking away but had been bereft of how to remain in what was clearly a private situation without being outwardly obvious.  'Sam' had been emitting a clear warning without even verbalizing one threat.  He glanced at the door to the offices located to the left of reception willing someone to appear so he could finally find get this over with.  His wife had not been too pleased about delaying their departure from Vancouver but he had explained it may be important.  He had opted however not to relay the subtle warning Jay had given him for fear of causing her to worry too much.  She was a lot of things but calm under stress was not one of them so, as he had been doing for the previous twenty-five years of their marriage, he ensured she was kept in the dark about the exposure to possible danger he had encountered on his hike.  Heavy footsteps announced an impending newcomer and he rose in anticipation.  Finally!  He'd relay his concern and continue on his holiday.

Capilano Suspension Bridge Park

"You decided to follow me here knowing there was no guarantee of privacy," Jay noted evenly as the other man turned his speculative gaze to the trail the newcomer had just embarked upon and was now out of sight, "you can't blame a guy for getting lost."
"Maybe he wasn't lost."
"He said he was," Jay shrugged dismissively, he needed to focus his companions' attention elsewhere.
"People say a lot of things."
"He wasn't a Cop if that's what you're thinking."
"You're hardly going to admit he's one!"
"You got me," the Detective admitted honestly before continuing, "but ...... he isn't."
"You can't swear to that," King pointed out finally turning his focus to Jay, "or are you telling me you know all the Police Officers in Vancouver?"
"Never said that but no one followed me.  I made sure of it."
"So where exactly does Voight think you are?  He does tend to babysit you."
"I told him I needed some time alone and .....,"
"You're saying he agreed to just let you walk out without any protection?" King interrupted sceptically.
"I told you why I'm here," Jay stated calmly, ignoring the jibes meant to provoke him.
"And I'm saying it doesn't make sense."
"Does any of this make sense?" the auburn haired man countered.
"You tell me."
"You're the one who's been playing macabre games with people as pawns.  Make that make sense," Jay challenged.
"I don't have to explain myself to you or anyone else."
"Yet you want to don't you? I mean what's the point in doing something if no one understands why?"
"I don't need your judgment," King noted derisively.
"And I don't need to be dealing with you," Jay pointed out bluntly, "yet here we are."

The experienced Detective was keenly aware that although Murray had managed to walk away unscathed another interloper might not be so fortunate.   He needed to bring this encounter to an end.  He just wasn't sure if he could do so without any more blood loss.

                                        -----------------------------------------

RCMP Bureau

Murray had been brought upstairs thirty minutes ago and escorted to an Interview Room where he had so far been questioned by two people who had identified themselves as Marks and Gibbs respectively of the RCMP.  The men had asked the same questions and received the same answers.  If Murray was anxious about being in an Interview Room with a two-way mirror he didn't show it.  Voight and Al had watched the Canadians take turns talking to Murray.  Voight scratched his forehead distractedly.