Let Me Play My Role

Chapter Eight | Let Me Play My Role

Honey pushes her head deeper into her pillow and closes her eyes, but just as the serenity envelopes her, her phone buzzes on the bedside table.

She picked her head up and reached over to the nightstand to grab her phone. She looks at the phone screen and sees Joe requesting a FaceTime call. Honey sighed and answers the FaceTime call.

"What do you want, Joe, you just saw me," Honey said.

Joe looked somewhat offended by the way Honey answered his call.

"First of all, rude! And second of all, I just wanted to know if you wanted some food, but with that attitude, you can starve for all I care," Joe said as he rolled his eyes.

Honey pouted.

"You should have said as soon as I answered and are you gonna let your baby momma starve while carrying your child?" Honey asked Joe.

"I should but I'm ready here with your food," Joe answered.

"You don't even know what I wanted to eat," Honey said.

"Yes, I do," Joe said.

As soon as Joe finished listing off Honey's order from Burger King, Honey heard a knock coming from her hotel room's door.

"It's open," Honey told Joe.

Joe groaned in frustration.

"Why would you leave your door unlocked?" Joe asked her as he opened the door.

Honey shrugged and ended the call, getting off the bed and walking over to the table as Joe placed the bags of food on the table.

"Who's going to come up in here and do something," Honey replied.

"A serial killer," Joe said.

"The only serial in here is you and the only killer in here is me if you don't let me eat in peace," Honey said as she started eating some of the French fries.

"You ain't talking to me," Joe said, shaking his head.

Honey scoffed.

"You're the only other person in the room, sir," Honey said.

"I'll knock this shit over, Honey," Joe threatened.

Honey's eyes widen and she found herself giggling at Joe.

"Okay, I'll stop," Honey said.

"Uhm..." Joe paused.

"What?" Honey asked Joe.

"Would like to go out to dinner with me tonight?" Joe replied.

Honey found herself at a loss of words.

Joe looked at her and smirked.

"Oh," Honey said.

"It's a yes or no, Honey," Joe said.

"So, dinner... Where are you trying to take me?" Honey asked.

Honey wanted to know what restaurant Joe had planned to take her to. Honey didn't just eat at any damn place. She had to check the reviews, portions, and prices before she goes to any restaurant.

Joe shook his head.

"Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse," Joe answered.

Honey nods. Honey had already researched
Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse and planned to go there at some point while they were in Lexington. Now she wanted to go because she had a list of food she wanted to try and with Joe paying, she didn't have to worry about the bill.

"I heard the food's good. Let's go there at six-thirty," Honey told Joe.

"Sounds good," Joe said.

Later that night, as Homey prepares for her dinner with Joe, she lays all of her clothes on the bed. She stared at her options.

"Okay, I should look my best," Honey said to herself.

Honey decided to wear a dainty top paired with a chic leather skirt with black strappy heels. She tousled her hair and opted for smoky eye makeup and neutral lip color.

Honey looked at herself in the mirror.

"I look pretty good," She said to herself.

Moments later, Joe and Honey arrive at the restaurant. They take their seats before placing an order together.

"Honey, you're stunning," Joe said.

"Thanks. You also look good, Joe," Honey said.

Just like any other time, the conversation flows easily and well between Joe and Honey as they dig into their meals. Honey is about to take a sip of her drink when she catches Joe watching her with interest.

"Yes, Joe?" She asked him.

"I was just thinking how we're going to have a beautiful baby," Joe told her.

Honey smiled.

"Oh... Uhm yeah, our daughter is going to be beautiful," Honey said.

Joe gives her a curious gaze.

"You think we're having a girl?" Joe asked.

Honey nods.

"All the firstborns in my family have been girls, so, I know we're having a girl," Honey explained.

Joe lets out a chuckle and smiles brightly.

"Well then. Let's hope you're not having twins since that runs in my family," Joe said.

Honey scoffed.

"Don't jinx me," Honey said.

Joe laughed as his large hand covers hers, as his gaze burns through her. Honey cleared her throat.

"These gazes of yours, Joe, have been getting intense lately," Honey told him.

"Because I have feelings for you," Joe said.

Honey and Joe share a warm silence that was broken by the arrival of the waiter with Honey's second dish. Roasted Lamb Chops with Minted Pea Purée, Farro Salad, and Lemon Bordelaise.

"My goodness. Thank you," Honey said to the waiter as she licked her lips at the sight of the meal in front of her on the table.

"Honey," Joe said, trying to get her attention.

"Yes," Hiney said, looking up from her plate.

"Let me play my role in your life," Joe said.

Honey raised an eyebrow at him.

"What's your role in my life, Joe?" She asked him.

"Your man," He answered.

Should she really give Joe a chance?