Chapter 3

Over the next six weeks, I worked on getting used to things like shoes, different human things like makeup, essential tech, and how to use things in the kitchen. I never knew what a microwave was and almost started a fire when I put a metal foil wrapping inside it and pressed start. Paul, the second tallest of the group, loves to mess with me, Seth is happy to have another friend around, and Jared was the last male that was in the first group that I met. I also met the rest of the pack. 

There is Leah, the only female wolf shift, Embry, Quil, and Jacob. The three guys had been friends before shifting and like to ruff house, as Emily calls it. Everyone knows what I am and that I am here because I am in danger, but so far, I have been able to keep "from what" a secret.

"Emily says that dinner is ready," Seth yells out the back door.

I also learned of vampires. Sam thought that I should know since there has been one running around the area going after Jacob's friend Bella, "Coming."

I wash my hands before taking my place at the table. Quil and Embry are running patrol right now, but everyone else is here to eat. Different topics of school grades, home life, and work soon overtake the conversations, "Ethne, what type of jobs are there in your pod," Jared asks, "I know you don't have bakeries."

"We have people who train the younger ones," I start after wiping sauce from my face. Emily's dishes are always great, "Scouts, warriors,  farmers, healers, and many more."

"Farmers," Leah scoffs, "You live underwater. How do you farm."

"They keep stock of our food supply and move the pod when the plants and sealife need a break from being used and eaten. Routing where and what we use."

"Before coming here," Seth pauses to finish his bite, "what did you do?"

"I was from the alpha pair. I learned a few different jobs to help out where I could. I also went to other Pods starting at age 12 to work out treaties and trading deals."

"So, an ambassador," Emily helps.

"Yes. As part of the alpha family, I can speak on behalf of my father and, one day, my brother."

"So how does the whole alpha pair work," Paul asks. He likes to mess with me, but he also keeps me at arm's length.  He is one of the four imprinted pairs in the pack. His mate Rachel is Jacob's sister. She could not join us tonight due to work, "Better yet, what danger are you in that you have to come here and put us and our imprints at risk."

"Enough," Sam growls, standing up, "Ethne is a guest and under our protection. You ha-"

"We are chasing a bloodsucker for Bella after she got involved with the Cullens. Four of us have imprints that we have to think about. How do we know that we are not gaining another enemy for no reason."

Emily, who I had been sitting next to, takes my right hand in hers. I remove myself from the room, heading back outside. I ignore the voices calling to me and take to the woods. I don't watch where I am going, but I follow the sound of running water. After twenty minutes, I find myself at a brook and drop down into the small ravine to get to it. Sitting down next to it, I dip my hand in. See, unlike what most people think, I do not shift back at the first touch of water. I have to use my moon ring to shift.  

I let my thoughts drift back to family and pod as I try and relax. I know Paul is not trying to be mean, but he also has a point. I need to explain to the pack when I get back. Exactly why it is so dangerous that Titus is trying to claim me. A sharp howl pulls me from my thoughts. Sam had explained what the called means, and I am deep in the forest by myself, and a vampire is on the loose. 

Standing up and using my hearing, even though it is not as sharp as the pack, it is better than humans. I don't even hear her; it is like she appeared out of thin air. A female with orange hair and red eyes. The Victoria that was hunting Bella, "The girl that has been with the wolves," she states, taking me in, "I wonder why they left you alone out here."

"Because I can handle myself," I hold my hands out by my side. The skies above start to darken with heavy rain. Swift winds, along with thunder and lightning, join in. 

Victoria in awe, "What are you?"

Growls from behind her make her turn to flee, but a bolt of lightning hits a few feet in front of her. Before she even turns to look at me, I send a blast of water to knock her over. The slight brushing of fur on my left arm tells me that one of the pack is there. Two more join us as Victoria takes the chance to flee. The wolf next to me is Sam. He is the only black wolf in the pack. He lowers himself to the ground, telling me to ride on his back silently. I do as he wants and hold on tight as he takes off. When we return to his house, Emily, Seth, and Paul are waiting outside. Sliding off of Sam, I wait for him to go and change. 

"Did you make the storm appear," he demands, stalking toward me, "Why did you not tell us that you could control the weather," he barks out, "What else are you hiding."

"Sam," Emily gently calls to him.

"Go inside."

"No," Emily growls out, "I will not go inside. Ethne has not once put anyone in danger. We should listen before you throw her back."

Sam and I are face to face, "I was only told of the treaty between us the night before we left to come here. I had no idea what you and Billy know. I don't even know how the treaty was started because that is passed down to the next alpha pair," I snap at him, "And that pair is my brother and his mate. Yes, I can control the weather, I can make storms start or stop at my command. If enough of us work together, we can bring down ships," I hiss, looking around at everyone, "I can make myself invisible, control water, make ice,  or steam water away. Every born merperson can. Merpeople can have a few special gifts, and the right to know about those can only be gained by trust," Quil and Embry come jogging from the woods, "And let's not forget our siren song. I can lead dozens of men and women to their deaths," I hiss, "just with my voice," Tears are running down my face.

"That's enough," Sam whispered, he knows that I am upset now.  He tries pulling me in for a hug.

I push him away, "I know the song. I have practiced it, and I have had to use it," I look at the group, "Do you know what it is like to kill someone? Someone who most likely did not mean you any harm but had captured you and was not planning on releasing you," Emily steps closer to me, "To use something so powerful that a council has to decide if you were in enough danger to use it. Knowing that after fighting for your life that a council could make your father disown you."

Emily wraps me in a hug, "Shh. You don't have to say anything more."

I turned to Paul, "I was sent here away from my family and pod because a male tried to claim that I was his mate," the sky darkening, "I'm not; if he tries to claim me again, he can force the bond. When a bond is forced, it can kill both parties."

Done talking, I turn invisible and make my way to Billy's house. He opens his door to a dripping wet on his doorstep, "Come in and let Emily know that you're here."