Chapter 10

"Earl Henry Pembroke," she stated firmly, her gaze fixed on him, "I demand an explanation. How did your daughter, Lady Sophia Pembroke, manage to gain unauthorized access to His Highness's bedroom?"

Earl Pembroke's face paled, and a wave of fear washed over him as he met Vivienne's intense gaze. The piercing intensity of her red eyes seemed to unnerve him, his instinctual response urging him to flee from her presence.

In contrast, the daughter of Earl Henry Pembroke glared at Vivienne with a look of disdain. Her eyes carried a mix of resentment and determination as if viewing Vivienne as a mere barrier to the budding romance between the crown prince and herself. She clearly saw Vivienne as an unwelcome obstacle, refusing to back down and challenging Vivienne's authority with her defiant gaze.

"I now terminate your employment, and both you and your daughter are now banned from entering the royal palace," Vivienne declared firmly, her tone resolute, as her inquiries went unanswered by the father and daughter.

"You can't do this to me!" the Earl protested. "You don't have the authority."

In response, Vivienne firmly grasped the Earl's shoulder and guided him down, forcing him into kneeling. As the Earl looked up, he found himself facing Vivienne's intense gaze, her striking red eyes seeming to pierce through his very being. With a commanding presence, Vivienne revealed her royal badge, causing the Earl's face to be pale with realization.

The daughter's voice trembled with anger and desperation as she pointed an accusatory finger at Vivienne. "You're nothing but a wicked witch! You've been abusing your authority as His Highness's secretary, using it to win his affection. But mark my words; one day, he will uncover your true nature and realize how terrible you are!"

Vivienne maintained her composure, her gaze steady and unwavering. She refused to let the daughter's words penetrate her resolve, understanding the pain and frustration that motivated her defense of her father. Instead of engaging in a verbal confrontation, Vivienne chose a different path.

"Guards, escort them out," Vivienne commanded, her voice firm and unwavering. The guards promptly seized Earl Pembroke and his daughter, leading them out of the crown prince's office.

Vivienne gently massaged her temples to relieve the mounting stress that accompanied such encounters. 'Being labeled a wicked witch again this month,' she sighed inwardly, contemplating the toll it took on her. 'My hands are already full with paperwork and meetings to attend. Now, I must handle this as well. Perhaps it's time to consider requesting a well-deserved raise for the added responsibilities.'

Reflecting on the situation, Vivienne couldn't help but wonder how many more individuals of a similar ilk would emerge. The persistence of these delusional girls convinced they stood a chance with the crown prince, weighed heavily on her mind. She longed for the debutante to arrive, hoping it would quell their misguided aspirations and end the unnecessary dramas that seemed to surround the royal court.

Milo stepped into the office and immediately noticed the commotion unfolding before him. With a quick glance, he pieced together the situation, understanding the events that had transpired in his absence.

"Yet another instance of a noble daughter attempting to sneak into His Highness's bedroom? This marks the third occurrence this month," Milo remarked, his tone tinged with disbelief and amusement.

Vivienne nodded, a hint of exasperation in her voice. "Indeed, it is the third time already. Thankfully, His Highness has been staying in Lady Silverwood's quarters as of late. It saves me the trouble of dealing with his grumpy face," she replied, a slight smirk on her lips.

"I will need to find a suitable replacement for Earl Pembroke," Vivienne sighed, her shoulders slumping slightly under her increasing workload.

Milo offered her a document, his expression reflecting pride and satisfaction. "Here is a list of qualified candidates. Ever since you suggested hiring commoners to replace the corrupt nobles, it has become much easier to find deserving individuals to fill these positions."