Chapter 15

'I don't know what's been happening, but lately, Duke Frostborne has been coming around here more often,' Vivienne thought. 'And, besides that, he looks like a sad dog always hanging out with Milo.'

Vivienne observed Milo diligently working while the northern duke folded paper into roses.

'I suppose this is his way of dealing with being rejected. At least now he's not bothering Lady Silverwood,' Vivienne thought with a sense of relief. 'Finally, peace and tranquility are restored.'

Vivienne found it increasingly challenging to focus on her work amidst the northern duke's incessant sighs and the ever-growing pile of paper roses. The distractions were not limited to that alone, as a sense of guilt started creeping in for not aiding the northern duke in his quest for love.

'Maybe peace and tranquility are not restored,' Vivienne thought. 'But why do I feel this overwhelming sense of guilt? Perhaps it's because he appears truly dejected. It makes me realize how little I know about the lives of second male leads after being rejected by the female lead.'

Vivienne discreetly watched the northern duke, noticing how the pile of paper roses grew. His eyes appeared filled with sadness as if he was holding back tears.

'If only I weren't stuck in this isekai romance novel, I would have tried to help the northern duke become Lady Silverwood's partner by now,' Vivienne thought. 'He's much better suited for her, but unfortunately, I don't have enough power to save myself from a beheading. Plus, after what happened, I believe I'm now on good terms with both the main character and the crown prince. I don't have to worry about being killed by him anymore. Poor second male lead... Your sacrifice was not in vain. I may seem selfish, but I never pretended to be a good person. My only goal is to survive.'

A tear slowly trickled down the cheek of the northern duke, catching Milo's attention. With a compassionate gesture, Milo handed Sir Beary to the duke along with a tissue. Appreciatively, the duke accepted the comforting bear and the tissue, delicately using it to stifle a sniffle. Witnessing this vulnerable moment shattered Vivienne's perception of the duke as fierce and intimidating, leaving only a pitiful image in her mind.

'The guilt is overwhelming. Why does he have to cry so beautifully and sadly at the same time?' Vivienne thought to herself, deciding to help the northern duke regain his strong and confident image and move on from the female lead.

"Duke Frostborne, is there anything I can assist you with?" Vivienne mustered up the courage to ask.

"No, there's no need. I'm fine," the northern duke responded, struggling to hold back his tears.

"I believe you could benefit from a new activity. We're running out of paper for you to fold roses," Vivienne suggested while secretly thinking, 'Besides, it feels like such a waste of good paper, even though these paper roses do look quite lovely. Perhaps I could use them for the engagement ceremony.'

"Then what other activity could I engage in?" The northern duke wondered.

'How do people cope with rejection? If only I had access to Google right now,' Vivienne thought.

"I think you should..." Vivienne paused, taking a moment to gather her thoughts. As she glanced at her engagement ceremony checklist and noticed the need to finalize the food arrangements, an idea sparked. "...try your hand at cooking?" she suggested, realizing her response sounded more like a question than a confident suggestion.

"Cooking?" the northern duke asked.

"Yes, indeed! I've heard that cooking is not only great for stimulating the mind but also a wonderful way to exercise your arms," Vivienne said, quickly coming up with justifications. "We could begin by making cookies. Would you be interested, Your Grace?"