02:23 ⏤THE PRETTY NURSE (injured james x nurse reader)

sum. : you're the pretty nurse that james wants to woo but he just got out of surgery

g. : modern au ; muggle au ; nurse reader ; puppy love ; lovestruck james ; mutual attraction ; sirius is being a little tease ; heart monitor gives him away

length : 0.7k

not proofread or edited

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"Prongs, you-" Sirius cuts himself off, unable to control himself and laughing behind his hand as Remus grinned beside him. Their friend had just gotten out of surgery to fix up his leg after an accident and was on his way to recovery in a hospital bed, hooked up to a monitor and with an IV keeping him hydrated in his arm. He looked pitiful already but his lovestruck expression made him look all the more pathetic.

"Shut up Pads," James snapped softly, his eyes never leaving your figure as you milled about the room tending to other recovering patients that he tried not to get too jealous over. He knows you're a nurse and it's your job to take care of them but James was utterly besotted by you.

James can tell that your smile is genuine and that you sincerely enjoy taking care of people. It was also really attractive how intelligent you were and how beautiful you were regardless of your labour intensive work. You handled the equipment with expert hands, tended to patient needs with compassion and care, and administered medication with careful accuracy.

"Look at her..." James whispered under his breath, his gaze never leaving you, "she's so pretty..."

"Yup, you've said that already," Remus hummed in amusement, "seven times now to be exact,"

"I think he's losing it, Moony," Sirius teased and poked James in the shoulder but was completely ignored.

Like a silent call, James' longing stare caught your attention and you were quickly making your way over to stand beside his bed.

"Is everything okay? Can I get you anything?" you ask, trying to suppress a familiar, flustered heat from dusting your cheeks. Your new patient, James Potter, was very handsome and some of the other nurses who saw him being wheeled into your room of the recovery ward did nothing to disguise their jealousy. Being a nurse was hard work so having a handsome hunk of a man like James around did good to relieve some of your frustrations. All it took was a single glance his way and you felt recharged.

Whilst tending to your other patients, however, instead of stealing glances at him you felt his stare lingering on you persistently. It was bad enough that such an attractive man was staring you down, it didn't help that he also had such a longing, puppy-like look in his eyes when he did so.

When James didn't answer and only continued to stare at you, you turned to his friends with a questioning look, "he's good, sorry in advance for his odd behaviour," the tall brunette comments with a soft smile.

"Yeah," Sirius piped up, drawing your attention, "he's just feeling a little hot under the collar, aren't ya' Jamesie?"

Feeling a spike of worry, you hurriedly made your way around his bed to have a closer look at him, leaning over his bed and stopping close to his face, "oh dear, are you sure you're alright?" you stress, worried eyes scanning him for any distressing signs.

beep!beep!beep!beep!beep!

Alarmed, you snap your gaze towards the Holter monitor and gaped at James's rapidly rising heartbeat before returning your attention back to the man in question. His cheeks were a deep red, his eyes still fixed on you, wide and glittering under the hospital lights as his pink lips were slightly agape from awe at your close proximity.

"Don't be alarmed, love," Sirius reassures, already giggling under his breath, "I think he's just caught a terrible case of 'Puppy Love-itis'," Sirius couldn't contain the force of his laughter any longer and threw his head back to laugh boisterously.

Embarrassed but smiling timidly, you step back and nod before turning away to make more rounds, "I'll be back with a suitable prescription for you soon, James,"

James couldn't believe the amount of humiliation he felt in that moment, his whole world was crumbling around him; throughout your entire interaction all he did was make a fool of himself. How could he possibly ask for your number now?

All of his worries were all for naught, however, as you soon returned with a written prescription, "I'm sure that over time, your dosage will need to be increased but you can be your own judge there," was your only comment.

When James unfolded the small piece of paper in his hands, he couldn't believe his eyes; you had just given him your number...

beep!beep!beep!beep!beep! 

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

a/n : inspired by a tiktok...there's so much good material on there, don't judge me!