POLY MARAUDERS | THREE TO FOUR

request : with poly marauders, where they ask the reader if they would like to be their partener and they're nervous and stuff

requested by vampbloodbunny2 on tumblr

length : 1.4k

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

They had never been so nervous or anxious before. You were the one and only person to accept their unconventional relationship over everyone else when they first revealed that they were in a poly relationship with each other. What makes the situation even more anxiety-inducing is the fact that you were one of their closest friends, long before they even got into a relationship with one another, therefore, if they really followed through with this, they'd be risking their long-time friendship with you as well. Looking into each other's eyes, it's clear that they share the same anxieties for the decision they wanted to ultimately make.

Having understood and supported their relationship more than most, you were their common confidant and dearest friend... no... being around you didn't feel like being around a friend, nor were you like any type of sibling to them. You didn't fit into any comfortable category or label anymore. That line and distinction was blurred a long time ago, maybe even before they got together as a trio.

You felt more than a friend when you helped Remus through his thoughts on a daily basis, speaking to him softly and laying out his thoughts with much more clarity than he could ever imagine. You're always there to help him go through his problems no matter how minute they may be and the tall brunette is incredibly grateful — he never wants to take you for granted. You don't feel like a friend when you know exactly what Remus needs after a long and hard day. And, especially not when you allow him to hold you tenderly from behind as you help cook the boys their dinner, especially when they all feel lazy and tuckered out from a long day's work. Remus would often press his face into the slopes of your neck and shoulder, breathing in your familiar fragrance and would sigh in relief, your scent giving him comfort. His arms wanting to hold you longer than what was appropriate for 'just friends', oftentimes, you'd let him without any complaints of discomfort.

"Are you feeling good, Rem?" you'd muse, your voice like sweet honey and warm milk to his ears, cosy and ever so comforting.

"Mmmm...yeah," he'd reply, appreciating the hand you would reach up to briefly comb through his hair and massage his scalp with.

You felt more than a friend when you knew exactly what to say to Sirius if he was ever acting up. He had a horrible habit of acting first and thinking later, however, you were the only one who seemed to calm him down enough to temper his fury and instinctual need to act first, giving him clarity with your words and gentle touch. He'd be on the ground, back against the wall and burying his face into the plush warmth of your stomach as you kneel between his legs. He'd hold you desperately, clinging onto the fabric of your clothes as you soothe him by petting his hair and saying everything he needed to hear in that moment. Somehow, you always knew what to say. You don't feel like a friend when he's spooning you from behind, seeking comfort and warmth as you read a book. Your book wouldn't hold your attention for long, however, as you would eventually deem Sirius' comfort and needs more important than your need to finish a book. So, like clockwork, you'd turn around in his arms and he could finally feel the reciprocated action of your arms winding around his figure and pulling him close. Naturally, he buries his smiling face into your chest and you'd soon begin humming a soft tune to fill the already comforting silence.

"Don't leave when I'm asleep..." Sirius whispers pleadingly, whining almost.

"Never, Siri," and that was all he needed to fall into a deep slumber, smiling and always finding the sweetest dreams that often featured you as well as a great amount of kisses.

You felt more than a friend whenever you'd let James sit in the kitchen with you and 'help' you cook breakfast, lunch or dinner, whatever it may be. He'd watch you with such fond eyes, he was surprised that you never noticed his more than friendly appreciation of you. Every once in a while, you would turn to him with a spoonful of the dish in your hand and ask him to have a taste — it was his turn to contribute to the cooking. It made him feel important and involved and like he was sharing a special moment with you.

"How is it, James?"

"As perfect and delicious as always!" he replies happily, licking his lips and grinning even wider when he hears your melodious giggle follow straight after.

"I couldn't have done it without your immaculate taste in food," you would humbly reply, cupping his cheek and staring into his eyes with what he wants to deem as love and affection from someone who's more than a friend. That small moment of joy, however, is quickly broken as soon as you turn your attention away from him. James fights the urge to turn you back to him, lean forward and capture your lips in a heated kiss, a plea and desperate attempt at convincing you to love him, Sirius and Remus as official partners.

You don't feel like a friend when you would go out of your way to be there for James whenever something was happening in his life, big or small — you were there for him when he was getting ready for his job interview, when he got the job, got his first promotion, when he wanted to eat lunch with someone because he felt lonelier than usual; you were there for everything and so much more.

It only felt natural for them to take that final step with you but, just like how nerve wracking it was for them to confess to one another, it was the same apprehension that clogged up their throats and made it difficult to form the words.

"What's wrong, you guys?" your soft voice pulls them out of their concentrated apprehension. It was the usual Saturday lunch you spent at their flat except, this time, they cooked the meal for you — it was a pleasant surprise, especially when their cooking turned out better than it typically did. For a while, you were the only eating the food, ignorant to their spiralling thoughts. However, when you finally did notice, the concern was evident in your eyes, largely because James wasn't hoovering up his food like he usually was, nor was Remus engaging in conversation with you about the book you were both reading together, nor was Sirius subconsciously expressing his deeply learned table etiquette and reprimanding James of his lack of manners like a mother hen. Today, they shared the same daunting expression and it was contagious, rubbing off on you like the plague.

"We uhhh..." Remus begins, gulping with difficulty as he shares a look with the others, "we have something to ask you..."

"What is it?" your question is filled with caution, a direct response to their strange unease around you, "You guys are acting very stra—"

"We love you!" James blurts out which immediately diminishes your worries and draws an adorable giggle from you, one that they all melt over.

"I love you guys too," with a smile, you happily continue your meal and completely miss their intentions.

"No," Remus says, "not like that..." his statement makes your brows raise in shock, you search their eyes for answers as your heart begins to race — both from fear and a hint of hope.

"More than that type of love, dollface," Sirius clarifies, hoping that it was enough for you to understand them.

James reaches over and touches your hand, caressing your knuckles tenderly with his thumb, "we don't just love you, we want to love you," it was a little saying between you and James, one that made you fall in love with him and eventually Sirius and Remus too.

With happy tears welling up in your eyes, you look into James' hazel pools and finally finally see the abundance of love swimming in them, only for you, "like the verb?" you ask in a tear-filled, weak voice.

James laughs and nods eagerly as Remus and Sirius smile fondly at you, the latter of the two reaching out to gently wipe your face of the tears spilling past your waterline, "like the verb, love," James brings your knuckles to his lips and kisses them lovingly.

Your answering nod was all they needed to round the table and pull you into an embrace, their lips eager to meet yours in a passionate and loving embrace.