04:01 ⏤ ALWAYS SAFE (ice hockey player james au)

sum. : you bring james his lunch that you cooked yourself and almost get injured

g. : fluff ; modern au ; muggle au ; ice hockey player james ; girlfriend reader ; very angry james ; protective james ; team training ; drill accidents ; reader being caring and sweet ; reader is wifey material ; james is husband material

length : 0.8k

NOT PROOFREAD OR EDITED

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"James!" you shout across the rink, standing by one of your boyfriend's coaches, Richard, who's become like an uncle to you. The hockey captain doesn't stop, however, unable to hear past the whistling wind by his ears atop his thick and sturdy headgear.

"Gonna have to shout louder than that, little lady ," the older man chuckles, adjusting the cap on his head of silvering hair.

You ponder to yourself for a moment before smirking, which makes Richard arch a curious brow at you, "Darling!" The instant you call across the ice rink, you see James' head whip towards you before he grins widely behind the front guard of his head gear. Behind him, the rest of his team come to a skidding halt and also look over to your waving and cheering figure. You've become quite familiar with all of his teammates and they love to tease their captain for being so head over heels for you so the team begin snickering to themselves, some even cheekily whistling and nudging at James who pays them no mind, his sole focus fixed onto you.

"Baby!" he cheers, delight and excitement evident in his voice before he speeds his way over to you. Richard whistles for the rest of the team to run short drills while the 'lovely couple' have their lunch.

"I'm sorry for being late," you gnaw at your bottom lip regretfully, a guilty look taking over your expression as James hurriedly takes off his headgear and gloves, revealing his sweat-soaked locks matted down and clinging onto his forehead, "Richard told me you didn't eat anything-" because you wanted to wait for me...

"Don't worry about it," James says gently, his smile just as bright but much softer as he takes in your sweet expression. There's so much love in his gaze, you feel your own heart bursting at the seams to attempt at reciprocating his adoration. James brings a finger under your chin and lifts your gaze to meet his kind stare; even though he appears sweaty, dishevelled and rugged from training, he's just as handsome as ever, "you sounded really excited over the phone about cooking my lunch for me," a heat crawls up your neck and explodes across your cheeks as James grins, his eyes staring lovingly at you, "and I was just as excited to eat what you so graciously cooked instead of canteen food here," James giggles to himself, dopey and carefree, "you cooked it just for me~ I'm so lucky~"

You returned his wide grin and felt yourself losing your will to hide his surprise. He didn't know it but you were only late because you went and bought his favourite treacle tart from his favourite bakery across town.

"Actually~" you begin to reach down so that you can present the bakery take out box when you suddenly see James pull back, his spine fully erect as his eyes and ears become fully alert. The words were on your tongue, ready to question his odd behaviour when he suddenly shoots his arm up to the side; just as you were beginning to register a faint whistle in your ear, it was followed by a resounding WHHHIIIIP!

In James's stretched out hand was a hockey puck. And it was on a one way course of high velocity towards you. Seeing this, anger flares up like the fuse of an explosive ready to violently detonate in James's eyes.

"SHE'S! MY! FUCKING! GIRLFRIEND! WATCH IT! YOU FAT FUCK!" James's booming voice cuts through the air and silences all activity on the rink, not only that but he was easily able to narrow down the perpetrator of the hazardous stray puck, "...WELL?!! SAY SOMETHING YOU DICK!" you look past James's figure and lock eyes with guilty brown pools, likely the offender of your potential accident.

"S-sorry," you hear his teammate stutter, which you accept with a small nod and place a gentle hand on James's arm, attempting to calm him down and bring his attention back to you. As he slowly turns to you again, James slams the puck to the ground and kicks it away with his ice skate.

"Are you okay, angel?" James asks, his voice soft and kind, a complete contrast to the booming, angry shout he just projected.

"I'm perfectly fine," your warm voice visibly soothes the hockey team captain and he rests his forehead against yours with a sigh of relief, "...accidents happen James, please don't lash out on the poor g-"

"Accident or not, hurting you— almost hurting you is deserving of a beat down from hell,"

Looking into his hostile but worried hazel eyes, you silently express your objection alongside some appreciation too. You're thankful for his worry, his aggression over your safety even makes your heart flutter but he's better than any violence. It takes a moment but James finally sighs and nods, a silent promise to watch himself and stay civil.

Smiling softly, you lean up to kiss his lips, "thank you for saving me," his lips smile against yours.

"You're always safe with me, princess,"